What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.50 hv

PeterC

Can someone help with the 'extra' headstamp details on this US .50 HV Pressure Test Cartridge? thanks

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 53
Peter

I don't know what the extra markings are, but are you sure that's a pressure test cartridge? That headstamp is the same that was on the .50 High Velocity Experimental Case made by Bridgeport Brass Co. That's what the "B" in the diamond signify. Isn't it actually a 20mm case necked down?

Could the extra markings indicate the type of bullet that was being tested?

Ray

Last edited:
Hello Ray, Attaching a picture of the cartridge and projectile. The projectile has a coiled wire 'roatating band', wrapped around five times. I believe it is for barrel erosion testing.
The "B" in the headstamp appears to have been applied by a hand punch....so am presuming it was part of a small volume test batch(?)
Yes, these cases were derived from 20mm cases and initially they were produced from necked down cases, however the BBC production were purpose produced.

PC.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 21
A couple of pics of one i've got ,with comparison of 20mm Hispano..50 BMG and soviet 14.5mm.

.50HV.jpg.50HV COMP..jpg

cheers, Bob