What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50KG bomb fuzing unit

F

Fuzeman

I found this german 50KG bomb fuzing unit in the occupation museum in Guernsey, this was from a German heinkell He111 , that crashed off sark in 1941?
The bomb on show has the lifting eye on the nose and the occupied position of the eye is replaced with a screw,
The cable to the charging head has been cut.

Attachments

• Guernsey liberation day2010 068.jpg
    Guernsey liberation day2010 068.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Guernsey liberation day2010 069.jpg
    Guernsey liberation day2010 069.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Guernsey liberation day2010 073.jpg
    Guernsey liberation day2010 073.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Guernsey liberation day2010 083.jpg
    Guernsey liberation day2010 083.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Guernsey liberation day2010 084.jpg
    Guernsey liberation day2010 084.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Guernsey liberation day2010 089.jpg
    Guernsey liberation day2010 089.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Guernsey liberation day2010 087.jpg
    Guernsey liberation day2010 087.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 70
Hi Paul
I was well pleased with the find , Richard knew about its history , but i managed to show how the unit would be fitted , to the bomb, im now looking for a detailed diagramme and any other information so that it can be displayed properly.

Hi Tim
I,m hoping there maybe a wiring diagramme for this unit, also possibly a picture of the unit in place in the aircraft, we want to display this item , with as much factual information as possible.

Hi Steve,
There are several good photos in "Deutsche Abwurfmunition bis 1945" by Wolfgang Fleischer". I can PM you some scans if you can't get hold on this book.

Hello Fuzeman,

if it can help you, I have a PDF doc called "German air-dropped weapons to 1945" from Wolfgang Fleischer. This Doc is 43 Mo.
If you are interested, send me a PM with a email adress that I can send it to you.

Yoda

Hi Steve,
can you check any markings on the fuzing unit?
What I can read from my books is that Germans had 2 types of bomb fuzing and hanging/dispenser units in He111 - for bombs hanging vertically from nose loop or horizontally from back loop. Naturally different for 50 and 250 kilos bombs.

The one in your pictures looks like one for horizontal hanging. Thus you should remove the hanging loop from bomb nose and attach on back, then the locking lever fits in the loop.