What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

51mm HE Mortar...

Darren

Arrived today, this is the first mortar that i have in my collection. Very nice condition complete with fuze.

Body stenciled:

51mm M
HE
RDX/TNT

Body Stamped:

RLB 026
H

Tail fins stamped:

BN 9

Darren

Attachments

• 001 (1046 x 234).jpg
    001 (1046 x 234).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 002 (1042 x 408).jpg
    002 (1042 x 408).jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 003 (478 x 744).jpg
    003 (478 x 744).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 004 (1034 x 602).jpg
    004 (1034 x 602).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 137
Thanks for showing. I have one of those fuzes and I've been mystified because it is completely devoid of any markings. Good to see a picture of it screwed onto the front of something.

T.

Does anyone know if any other types of fuzes other than the M52s were used on these HE mortars? were the DM 93 fuzes used with the 51mm HE mortars?

Darren

Last edited:
HE = Fuze Point Detonating M935
Drill = Drill Fuze Mortar RO-03-01A1 Representing Fuze PD M935
Inert Fuze M935 (for use with Mortar Bomb 51 mm Instructional Representing Mortar Bomb 51 mm HE L14A1)

Be careful of the safety pin, they are sometimes Cadmium plated which, given the right conditions, will corrode forming Cadmium salts which are highly dangerous.

Thanks for the info, that's great.

So the DM 93 fuze, is that only used on illuminating mortar rounds?

Darren

HE = Fuze Point Detonating M935
Drill = Drill Fuze Mortar RO-03-01A1 Representing Fuze PD M935
Inert Fuze M935 (for use with Mortar Bomb 51 mm Instructional Representing Mortar Bomb 51 mm HE L14A1)

Be careful of the safety pin, they are sometimes Cadmium plated which, given the right conditions, will corrode forming Cadmium salts which are highly dangerous.

I tend to agree with the earlier posts in that the fuze is of the M52 type (M527 with the 81mm mortar). The M935 and its brother for the 81mm, the M567, both have a thin green anodized aluminum cap over the plunger/firing pin and a green plastic SQ/Delay selector and no "pop out" pin. Trying to inert one for the first time and not gerfing up the plastic selector whilst removing its retaing washer can be a pain. Attached is a link to the M935. Cheers, Bruce.

http://www.l-3com.com/products-services/docoutput.aspx?id=1422

Last edited:
I should have wrapped quotes around my post. I was responding to Darrens post immediately prior to that one which you quote. I wasn't saying the fuze in the picture was the M935, I was saying it was another fuze in use by the British Army.

My apologies, Combat. If I would have read the prior post to yours entirely, I wouldn't have stepped in it. Blame it on old age, lack of patience and having to work yesterday. Cheers, Bruce.

Thanks for the info Bruce, I have two of these old HE mortars and plan to make a cutaway of one of them. I just want to make sure I have the correct fuzes on them before I make any cuts!

Darren

Does anyone have and written documentation/info/diagrams on these obsolete 51mm mortars? I have looked through all of my books/reference and cannot find anything.

Darren

Attachments

• Screenshot - 03_05_2011 , 23_10_37l.jpg
    Screenshot - 03_05_2011 , 23_10_37l.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot - 03_05_2011 , 23_11_47m.jpg
    Screenshot - 03_05_2011 , 23_11_47m.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 51mm he mor fus.jpg
    51mm he mor fus.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 51mm he mor.jpg
    51mm he mor.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 87
Thanks Allan for the diagrams and photos, they are a great help to me.

Cheers,
Darren

After having a read through my Janes Ammunition Handbook I came across the British 51 HE mortar. A bit odd that the body was a very slightly different shape to the one in my first post and the stencils were a little different (the same as in spotters photo)

In the book the fuze that was listed and shown in the diagram used with the HE mortar was the L127A2. I've never seen one of these fuzes nor can I find any reference to one on the Internet.

Ay other info on this would be great.

Darren

darren,I have one that has a DM111 P.D.fuze in it.Its an earlier one as it dos not have the cut in the fin for the extra increment.Nice find.Sincerely APDSAZ

darren,I have one that has a DM111 P.D.fuze in it.Its an earlier one as it dos not have the cut in the fin for the extra increment.Nice find.Sincerely APDSAZ

APDSAZ, do you have a couple of photos of your mortar and fuze that you are able to upload?

Were the DM111 fuzes used with the 51mm rounds? I thought those fuzes were only used with the 60mm and 81mm HE rounds?

Darren

Last edited:
Hi Darren, that mortar looks great looking forward to seeing the sectioned one. I've just bought one of these mortars but without a fuze so im on the hunt for a fuze for it. If by any chance you come across one i'd appreciate it if you could let me know. Cheers