What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

53mm Hotchkiss revolver gun case

Vasco Da Gama

The case pictured turned up recently and I think that it is from the Hotchkiss 53mm revolver cannon, although as it is without markings I am going by the measurements alone. The rim is 66mm, length 186mm and mouth 53mm, with some damage. Initially I thought the primer was false but it appears to be correct and has an internal part inside the case. Pictured alongside a 53x177mm Gruson case for comparison. Glad to have confirmation of my identification and any thoughts on a date. Many thanks to Tony Williams, identification based upon data in his ammunition data files.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 61
Could it be that there is some thin brass foil wrapped around the base of the case?

Thanks Alpini, I have checked the case again and cannot find any evidence that the base is covered by a foil coating. It has a very thick rim and is solid from my perspective. It is possible that a foil has been placed over the primer and extends to the visible circle about a third of the way across the base. However, I really cannot detect a ridge or join at that point. The other option is that this is an unfinished case but having the primer pocket on the inside is surprising. Anybody willing to post a picture of another one?

ok, I wasn't really sure what I see on your photos. The shiny sharp edge on the base mislead me :)