What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

57 mm T18 HE cut away round

auto151mg

Premium Member
Hi this is the first post since I joined here so here go's. I just picked up a 57 mm HE cut away complete projectile. Has any one seen one of these are know if any one has one. It is marked LOT 1 , 1944 HE 57 mm T18E1 has the fuse and is 1/4 cut out from the rotating band to the fuze tip. I have a few pictures and I will try to post them. Any help on this would be great. Thanks Larry.

Attachments

• IMG_4184.jpg
    IMG_4184.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4183.jpg
    IMG_4183.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 112
Larry, Could you show a picture of the base? I have the T18E2's with no fuze and in relic condition, so this is a forerunner of mine. It later evolved into the M303 57mm HE. It was used in the US 57mm M1 AT Gun and it's derivatives, which was a copy of the British 6pdr AT gun. Your round has the M85 Point Detonating (PD) fuze. It came with either that or the M86 PD fuze. The T18E3 has a hole in it for a tracer element. Yours looks like it has a plate on the bottom and that's why it would be nice to see pix of it. Thanks for showing. Great round. Also, welcome aboard. Cheers, Bruce.

IMG_4187.jpgI'll try and get a picture of it. Is a rare round or a common one. I have never seen a cut away of a 57mm HE round.

Last edited:
Larry, That's interesting. It looks like the only thing different in the E1 versus the E2 is a raised ring on the base of yours. As to rarity, I would consider the M303 and the T18E2 to be scarce. Since I have just now seen your E1 I would think it to be scarce to rare. I'll let the other members chime in with there opinions and experience, but I don't think I'm far off. Again, nice round and if you ever want to part withit, I'm sure that there will be no lack of offers:xd:. Cheers, Bruce.

P.S. I went back and did a search of T18 and M303 and there are a couple of threads you can look to. Other than the raised ring on the bottom, it looks like the E1 has a solid rotating band and the E2/M303 have grooved bands.

Last edited:
IMG_2929.jpgThanks for the info. Any thought on what it might be worth. I picked up a 57mm APC only marking on it is " L 2 " below the wind screen, painted green. A 75mm M48 HE green paint 1942 , Another 75mm M48 HE proof projectile painted black 1943 and has " W280 over SCD over 23 with a triangle under that. A 75mm M61 A.P.C 1942 painted black and has with tracer painted on it.

Last edited: