What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

57 X 480R arrowhead

SG500

Premium Member
A few photos of a 57mm arrowhead round.
Photos show:
The projectile
The rear of the projectile with tracer removed
The complete round (I realise the projectile isn't all the way in the case - I wanted to get it out again!).
Excellent information is available on this round on the following web link.
Dave.

http://www.russianammo.org/57mm.html#29

Attachments

• 57mm projectile.jpg
    57mm projectile.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 57mm Tracer.jpg
    57mm Tracer.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 57mm complete round.JPG
    57mm complete round.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 121
Hello Dave, very nice round, not easy to find, if you are interested in the black AP practice, let me know, regards Ben

Thats a great looking round Dave and a nice addition to your collection, the Russian stuff is starting to grow on me.
Best Weasel.

Hi,
Nice round.
Here a few photos of my 57x480R Russian amunition.
Not so nice like your's, but oryginal from ww2 (44r).
Find on ww2 battlefield in Poland.

UBR-271P (arrowhead round)
UBR-271 (AP round)
UO-271 (HE round)

Used in;

Guns:
ZIS-1 KV L/86 (prototype), IS-1 L/63,5 (prototype) W-22 (prototype)
ZIS-2 wz. 1941, ZIS-4 (tank gun), ZIS-4M (tank gun), ZIS-2M wz. 1943
ZIS-2N.
Tanks;
T-34-57

Regards.

Attachments

• 57_podkal.jpg
    57_podkal.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 94
  • cam5766ob5.jpg
    cam5766ob5.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 92
  • cam5765ka8.jpg
    cam5765ka8.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 95
Thanks for your comments guys and good to see pictures of others that are out there.
Why are these so hard to find in good condition? Its not like they're experimental, surely they produced millions of them.
Dave.

From my collection:

Subcalproj.jpg

The sectioned 28/20 is genuine, as is the 17 pdr tungsten APDS core. The 2 pdr APSV and the 6 pdr and 17 pdr APDS are replicas. The two Russian arrowheads are in immaculate condition - I assume they are replicas?

Hi,
SG500- when your case was made? This amunition was long long time after ww2, still in production.
Why are these so hard to find in good condition? I don't know :D
Here, in Poland its not a big problem find 57mm amunition in good condition- but lot of them, are post war production. Ammo what I have, are 100% ww2 made. I am sure, because I find this myself :D

here, find from Poland; 57mm AP projectiles - UBR-271SP
(SP means tracer projectile - no HE filling)

To all; This is only solid AP tracer projectile! No "live" ammo!

Regards.

Attachments

• size_projectile_BR271 _ 1.jpg
    size_projectile_BR271 _ 1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 62
  • CAM_5911.jpg
    CAM_5911.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Ubr-271.jpg
    Ubr-271.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 73
Excellent picture Tony.
What would make it even better if you added the german 3.7cm the 5cm and the extremely rare 7.5cm.
Yep, if someone gives them to me I'd be pleased to photograph them ;)

For my own curiosity why have you a replica 6pdr APDS. Surely an original is easy to find?
One in really good condition is not so easy - and very expensive!

The german arrowheads are expensive also.

As for the 6pdr APDS sometimes you can find a bargain. Problem is trying to find an original case crimped for the APDS.

"SG500- when your case was made? This amunition was long long time after ww2, still in production."

Hi I'm not sure when my case was made and as its standing up with quite a few hundred other large rounds I'm not in a position to pick it up and look at the headstamp at the moment - will try to in the future though.
Replicas are a good thing, I'm happy to have them as part of my collection, they fill a space until the real thing comes along - just as long as everyone is aware they are replicas.
I like the photos of your battlefield finds Mariusz, it must be great finding this stuff.

Dave.

Hi,
Nice to hear this. Of course our "diggers" collection's are not so nice like yours. Many of our projectiles are in bad condition, because frequently they was more than 60 years undergraund. But always ore oryginal ww2 production,- thats the good thing. And this is part of our History.

Here; 57mm AP Projectile UBR-271with MD-5 base fuze, after chemical cleaning; find on Battlefield from 1944r. (of course empty and safe!)

Regards.

Attachments

• DSC03321.jpg
    DSC03321.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC03322.JPG
    DSC03322.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC03323.JPG
    DSC03323.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC03324.JPG
    DSC03324.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC03325.JPG
    DSC03325.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 31
Hi nothing wrong with Diggers collections at all and the insides look to be in excellent condition.
Have you ever found any 17 pounder cores - the sheeths are all rusty but the tungsten cores look brand new?
Dave.

57mmE-2.jpg57mmA.jpg57mmC.jpg

The case of UBR-271p is of 45 but one changes it it me came with one from 43, it was in worse conditions, the UO-271U not this one in good conditions, now it will look for one in better conditions, which seem to you ?

Someone has a few graphs, where there are seen the measures of the case and of the ammunition