What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

577/450 MH headstamp

smle2009

Hi to all,
I'm looking for information on a .577/450" Martini Henry drawn case ball round headstamp, MKCM,need country of origin and manufacturer ect......sorry no photo as it's not mine

Cheers
Tony

Is it M.K.C at 12 oclock and the M at 6 oclock with a star at 9 & 3 oclock if so I believe it is German "Munition Werke de Schonebeck, Elbe" hope I have spelt it correct

Rich

PS the headstamp detailed above is from a martini henry case

Last edited:
Hi Rich,
no it's just MKCM stamped on the lower part of the head,I gather that it is 'spaced out' as M K C M, no stars.....maybe an earlier or later version of the one you describe?

Tony

Tony, have you actually seen this headstamp yourself to confirm it? I'm with Rich on his ID and I can't find any reference to any other layout of 'M K C M'.
Jim

Hi Jim,
no mate,not seen it for myself but I can guarantee that it will be what the chap says it is,and I have checked that the headstamp is nice and clear because my first thought was that the last M might have been a 'II' instead, thinking it could be a Indian Mk C II

Tony

Last edited:
Just been sent a photo of the headstamp,along with the one Richard and Jim described......I can remember reading somewhere that FN stamped stars on the headstamp to denote a contract to a certain country....could the German firm Richard mentioned have done the same? and the first headstamp be for 'home market'?

Tony

image002.jpg

Yup the 2nd one is what I have reference for and it is "Munition Werke de Schonebeck, Elbe" as for the 1st one Tony I am not sure about but it does look like the same font/lettering style ???

Rich

Last edited:
Two nice headstamps! I have a Belgian round (B.C.E.) with identical stars and a French round (S.F.M.) with similar stars but I have no idea what these stars signify. I think Tony's theory about the first round being for domestic use & the second for export is a good one.....but it might also be that the first round was indeed made by Munition Werke de Schonebeck but the second round (with the stars) could have been made for them - perhaps by Belgium.

Sorry if I'm just adding to the confusion! Having agreed that the headstamp M.K.C.M. almost certainly indicates 'made by or for' Munition Werke de Sconebeck, Elbe what do those letters actually stand for?

Jim

from the headstamp guide by Curtis Steinhauser says that stars on the headstamp are for overseas contract prior to WW1......paul.