What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

57mm base fuzed H.E.

Lou

I posted this projectile a while back in the identification thread.I got this and it was in really bad shape.It was missing the driving band,was very rusty and its something I dont normally buy.(But it was attached to a 57mm cartridge that I just had to have,that unbelievably had the same lot number as an APC shell I already had in invetory.I way over paid for it but it was worth haveing a nice matched projectile and cartridge.)
So,I got bored one weekend and decided to see if I could use a two part epoxy putty to at least put a driving band on this oddball ugly duckling.I mixed the putty,pressed it into the driving band space and let it cure for a day.The next day I took it to a friends house an put it on a wood lathe.After a little struggle getting the shell centered on the lathe,I cut the epoxy down,with standard wood cutting tools,to a close copy of a driving band.Then I painted it with a copper hobby paint.Anyone else ever have any luck replacing driving bands this way???

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 35
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 45
And I forgot to mention guys,once cured the epoxy is hard as copper,or maybe a bit harder.Hard enough to take a steel stamp,I marked this 57mm Lou's resto#1,just as a test run.

Restoration;

Now that is a very nice piece of work and I'm sure was worth the effort, Shhhhh don't tell anyone.
Best Regards,
John aka Bart

Hey Lou, That is great it looks really well done, thanks for showing it. the stamp finishes it off.
Best Weasel.

Excellent job !

Damn good job Lou and pretty authentic looking.

I would not have thought using epoxy was worthwhile until I saw your shell-that has now changed my opinion on such things, a really great idea :idea:

Lou,

Great looking renovation job! Hey, what was the brand name of the epoxy putty you used?

Thanks,

John

Lou,

Great looking renovation job! Hey, what was the brand name of the epoxy putty you used?

Thanks,

John
The putty I used came from 3m.There were 3 different types,a general use,marine,"for wet environments" and a fast cure type.It was the only brand that advertised that is was able to be machined once cured.And since it was the two part putty type,almost like modeling clay,there was no mess.JB weld makes a good two part clay type epoxy too.

Thats a nice restoration.
Plumbers supply stores sell epoxy putty which is loaded with copper for pipe repairs, called plumbers mate. It does have a sort of copper colour but might still need painting.

Fred

Thats a nice restoration.
Plumbers supply stores sell epoxy putty which is loaded with copper for pipe repairs, called plumbers mate. It does have a sort of copper colour but might still need painting.

Fred
Another little trick,at the local hobby and craft store,in the section that carries supplies like stamping inks,you can pick up copper colored powder,used for raised embossing on paper goods.I havent tried it yet but its on the list of experiments.