What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5cm flak 41

SG500

Premium Member
I've been after a case for this fired projectile for a while but managed to get one today. If anyone has a decent projectile going spare I'd be interested.:tinysmile_hmm_t:
Has anyone any information about variations of the projectiles in this round?
INERT etc.
Dave.

Attachments

• Stoneleigh 31 Jan 10 013.jpg
    Stoneleigh 31 Jan 10 013.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Stoneleigh 31 Jan 10 014.jpg
    Stoneleigh 31 Jan 10 014.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Stoneleigh 31 Jan 10 018.jpg
    Stoneleigh 31 Jan 10 018.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Stoneleigh 31 Jan 10 019.jpg
    Stoneleigh 31 Jan 10 019.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Stoneleigh 31 Jan 10 020.jpg
    Stoneleigh 31 Jan 10 020.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 86
  • Stoneleigh 31 Jan 10 012.jpg
    Stoneleigh 31 Jan 10 012.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 111
Dave,

There has been some discussion over on the WK2Ammo site.

Here are a few photos of the gun. I will need to take a photo of my round. It would sure be nice to have a complete clip of ammo.

Attachments

• 5cmflak.jpg
    5cmflak.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 5cm_Flak_41_03.jpg
    5cm_Flak_41_03.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 5_cm_f10.jpg
    5_cm_f10.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Dave,

Info from the original owners. Check your email for the complete manual.

John

Attachments

• Source.jpg
    Source.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 65
  • HE Round 1.jpg
    HE Round 1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 90
  • HE Parts.jpg
    HE Parts.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 79
  • HE Marking.jpg
    HE Marking.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 75
  • AP Round.jpg
    AP Round.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Projectile.jpg
    Projectile.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 65
Thanks John yes a clip full would be very good, perhaps with all the variations in the same clip?!
Thanks for the information - appreciated. Yes if you can take a photo of yours that would be good.
Dave.

Here is one of Tony William's photos that includes his "minty" one. Probably the best one I have ever seen or will ever see.

Attachments

• 37-40a.jpg
    37-40a.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 69
If I read my books correctly less than 50 guns were ever made. Gring had a couple around his Carinhalle.
I was told that not so many years ago EOD dug up some 2000 rounds of ammo from the site.:tinysmile_cry_t4:

Here is one of Tony William's photos that includes his "minty" one. Probably the best one I have ever seen or will ever see.
Not so much mint as heavily restored...

Yes, I was looking for one for a long time too, since I have a particular interest in service automatic cannon ammo. It made my trip to the ECRA International in the Netherlands a few years back worthwhile, all on its own!

I have another question for the rounds experts, why I cant find an original 4 cm Flak 28 complet round? Why I can find only empty cases?

Last edited:
4 cm Flak 28/ 40mm bofors German rounds have been available in limited quantities in the last few years. The ones I've seen have spent some time under water or underground, as they have corrosion on the cases and the projos are usually missing all their paint. They are still in very good condition.

They don't seem to be as rare as the 5 cm Flak 41.

To find cases in very good to mint condition, brass and steel, is not difficult here in Europe, but I have seen only a few complet rounds in the collection of one of our forum members.

Some time ago (maybe 5 years) I find one fired 5cm flak case in old farmhouse on old Russian-German frontline. in Poland.
Unfortunately, in this time, I have no idea what a rare rare case I find and...
I sold this case... :(
I was crying, many many months :(
I was searching long long time in this area, hoping to find another one... without result. :(
But some day... I find fuze - 5cm Kpf.Zerl. :) ...relict condition, but I'm happy anyway.

And one more thing;
5cm Pzgr.42 (with balistic cup) was used ony in 5cm flak ammunition?
I find a lot inert 5cm Pzgr.42 and I'm just curious.

Regards.

Attachments

• _MG_9123.jpg
    _MG_9123.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Hi yes its a rare fuze, I was lucky that the projectile I have had one on, often they are plug fuzes.
I'm surprised how rare these rounds are, if they made 50 guns there must be a lot of ammunition around (I'm used to collecting experimental ammunition where only a few guns or test barrels were made).
Dave.

You will see how rare are they... Until today I had no idea about these 5cm Flaks :embarassed:, my main field are the grenades, but I collect 2cm Flak and 3,7 Flak and PAK, but never had a notice from them until today.

Hi yes its a rare fuze, I was lucky that the projectile I have had one on, often they are plug fuzes.
I'm surprised how rare these rounds are, if they made 50 guns there must be a lot of ammunition around (I'm used to collecting experimental ammunition where only a few guns or test barrels were made).
Dave.
They stopped making them well before the end of the war, and I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the guns in service until the ammo had been used up.