What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5cm PAK 38 Container

Big Dave

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
Bought at Beltring,for all of 25 [i know Spotter another box ] the metal sounds solid enough and the rotten wooden rack gives me an idea how to make a replacement.So its time to take the electric drill with the wire brush attachment to it ,may turn into 25 of rust or might get a decent tin ? i will let you know ,regards Dave

Attachments

• DSCF1348.jpg
    DSCF1348.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF1347.jpg
    DSCF1347.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF1346.jpg
    DSCF1346.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF1349.jpg
    DSCF1349.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 42
Been busy with the drill and wirebrush ,then a good spray with WD-40 ,nice solid box with some of the red oxide primer showing inside.A nice eagle and maker mark of hht ,Bausch-Werke,Emailier-u .Stanzwerke ,Saxony.Do i repaint or leave it as it is ? Next job is to start remaking the wood frame

Attachments

• DSCF1517.jpg
    DSCF1517.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF1516.jpg
    DSCF1516.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF1515.jpg
    DSCF1515.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF1514.jpg
    DSCF1514.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF1518.jpg
    DSCF1518.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 25
Excellent job so far Dave. Be careful with the WD40 because it has a lot of chemicals that are very invasive that can dissolve original paint. If you need to oil anything vaseline is a very safe product.

The internal woodwork will be a complex job. You must be a good skilled joiner.

PC

Hi PC never thought about the WD as i thought any original paint would have come off with the drill and wirebrush ! only dicovered the original primer after a spray with WD and a wipe down with a rag.The internal woodwork is a bit of a challenge ,mainly the 4 uprights with the curves to fit the corners but trial and error and a lot of wood shaving seems to be the answer.The biggest problem is the weather as i dont fancy the electric planer in the shed ,so will have to wait for some fine weather.

Hi Munfrosch ,have you any idea if these were left with the red primer on the inside and only painted field grey outside?

Last edited:
It was just the use of WD40 in general as I can understand when you were using a wire brush to the outside of this container that some WD40 was not going to make much difference.

I have attached some pictures of the inside view of my boxes. It seems like some are red primer and some not.

PC

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0716.jpg
    IMG_0716.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0715.jpg
    IMG_0715.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 24
Thanks Pc ,excellent boxes and gives me more idea how the wood racks were made , i think i will leave the inside alone ,thanks again ,regards Dave

I have one of these boxes too.Interior is like new,outside is littlebit "worn" condition.Even the paper tag is in very good condition.

pak38case1.jpgpak38case2.jpg