What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.5 x 54

Slick

No projectile in this one. OAL is 53.74mm, but I rounded up. 6.5mm is actual mouth ID.
I noted what I initially thought was spider leavings inside the hull. Picked at it with a scribe. Got hold of it with some hemostats and pulled out a little ball of fibrous stuff. And then another. And another. And then poured out the load of flake powder. (I stuffed it all back in, btw) Am aware of the process but didn't expect to see it in what I assume is a military round and assume it's not somebody's idea for reloading.
Curious as to the country of origin and any other details offered up by the h/s.
DSCF0310 (2).JPG DSCF0311 (2).JPG DSCF0312 (2).jpg

As I'd mentioned in the earlier thread, I have a bunch of this to go through. These are the most organized containers. Cigar boxes are jumbled accumulations and I'm really not looking forward to getting into those. I'll focus on this project 'til something more exciting comes along.

DSCF0299 (2).jpg

End result for some of the rounds will be little displays. Glued to whatever, sprayed with poly and set on a shelf. Better than being holed up in a box in a cabinet.

DSCF0301 (2).jpg

Your cartridge is a 6.5mm x 54mm Dutch Mannlicher and the nickel plate finish indicates that this was a Guard load. The original headstamp was '17 U' and this means it was made by the Dutch company Artillerie Inrichtingen in 1917. I believe the 11 and 26 stamps would have been added later but quite what they mean I do not know.
Jim

Your cartridge is a 6.5mm x 53,5 R Dutch Mannlicher of the Colonial army (KNIL) Ball cartridge No 4 , It is a short range, or guard cartridge, with a redued charge.

17 =1917 MANUFACTURING YEAR OF THE CASE
u = Bridgeport Bras Co., New York Brass manufacturer/supplier.
11 = Lot number of the powder
Charge 1,32 gr nitrocellulose powder No 32 with 3 layers of felt on top.

Last edited:
In the digging, ran across this one. Identical shell/case as the previous 6.5 X 54 "find".
Written on side: Guard
h/s: D(B?)S C - maybe an O with a piece missing. Is this the manufacturer?
Am guessing 1914 manufacture.
Curious about the soft point projectile. Is that correct or a hole filler?
SAA 6.5 X 54 side.jpg SAA 6.5 X 54.jpg SAA 6.5 X 54 hs.jpg

Guard cartridge (wachtpatroon)
14 = 1914
BS = Basse en Selve, Altena Germany (brass supplier)
O = case reloaded once
Projectile is not original to this case ,this one is modified to a hunting cartridge