What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6" british ww1 howitzer.....

starshell

Premium Member
Hi all,

I'm sure there's a thread about this out there somewhere, but despite looking, haven't found it yet.
Heard somewhere that the distance of the driving band on 6" shells from the shell base can determine what Mk/model it is and whether it's an early type or later.
I have such a shell with a driving band (pics attached) and am trying to find out which type this particular shell is. The band on this model is approx 17 to 18mm from base, although having been fired, the fanning of the band toward the base will most likely give an inaccurate measurement, as opposed to it being measured pre-firing.
The base stampings are pretty much worn, but I can make out 6 HOWr, thats all, although the faded remains of other figures can be seen. She's the tall girl next to her German cousins.....
Shell is, of course, FFE and totally inert and empty, as is fuse.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers,
D
View attachment 107080View attachment 107081View attachment 107082View attachment 107083

Hello,

Difficult question. British made a lot of Mk of 6in howitzer shells and often with the same length. I assume your round is near 21in long (without fuze). Very common shell on french ww1 battlefields.
The only solution is to find Mk markings on base...
Sometimes they changed Mk only with an invisible detail.
Your round is made in one piece so it's not a MkXVI.
It's not an early shell (common or common lyddite) because of the 2in fuze hole.
And to complicate our job they used different shells for different guns (gun, howitzer, howitzer light, etc...)

Regards

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Minenaz16,
I kind of thought as much, there being a million and one variations for the 6" used in France. I'll try again to see if I can distinguish the Mk on the the base, although I'm not too optimistic...
Many thanks again
D