What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 pdr apcbc 7 CWT XVT NCN 12/43 Projectile

evilmike

Just swapped this for a couple of WW2 medals ive done some searching and found some info :)

What i'd like to know is whats the correct case? And is it a common find in the Uk / Europe? I did see a case that also had the 7 CWT etc on the head stamp

What does the 7 CWT XVT NCN stand for? i guess 12 is for the month of Dec? and of course the date 1943

It has the broad arrow stamp and 7 6 on driving band and Z E stamped under the band

Lastly what would a case go for or Euros and any idea on value of this projectile, not too bothered if i traded too much it will look great in the front room :) Thanks :) 002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

EM,

It is a Mark XV (15) projectile, with tracer pocket.

7cwt refers to the approximate weight of the barrel and breech in cwt (hundredweight) rounded up. It was standard British practice to differentiate guns of the same calibre by adding weight in cwt to the description.

As you assumed 12/43 is the date of manufacture

NCN - I think is New Crown Forgings, Newport - However, their listed monogram is NCFN. New Crown Forgings was a company set up by 'Stewart and Lloyd Ltd' just prior to WWII and they had numerous factories throughout the UK. They produced all manner of munitions, generally projectiles (including 8 million AP) and were also responsible for manufacturing the pipe that was to become known as PLUTO. I would have expected the projectile to be stamped with the maker's monogram. As an APCBC shot one would have expected it to have a white tip and two white rings on the lower edge of cap - if a tracer was fitted, a red ring between the two white rings.

TimG

Last edited: