What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 PDR Ebay find

DEADLINE222

Here is my first catch of the year. :bigsmile:

Purchased on Ebay for $59.00, it is a British (1918 VSM) 6 pounder with three, Frankford Aresnal 50 Caliber cartridges which are dated 1926.

Other than the totally awesome steal of a deal I feel I received, I am wondering about the trench-art base these four cartridges were attached to.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this? It looks too nicely machined to be home made, and there are six holes where there were only three 50's affixed to it.

Any ideas?

666777.jpg6PRTR.jpg

Last edited:
indeed, pitty they drilled a hole in the projectile, the studs probably supported a light cover

I wouldn't be quick to bin the base as it looks like it may belong to something that could be related. I have a friend who had done this only to find that a related mount with shells on it turned out to be more valuable that the shells its self as it was from a rare gun.

Hi Deadline222,Nice find,well done winning that one,the base look to be alloy,if so could it be perhaps a wheel centre vehicle/aircraft,?
cheers,
Don,

It could also be a Tank round if you can detect a darker colour on the base or bottom half of the casing, other wise it would be the same as a navel one I think. I'm thinking in 1918 the Navy wouldn't need more of these, but the Army might.

Attachments

• Snapshot 2010-08-16 21-46-40.jpg
    Snapshot 2010-08-16 21-46-40.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 44
Hi Deadline222,Nice find,well done winning that one,the base look to be alloy,if so could it be perhaps a wheel centre vehicle/aircraft,?
cheers,
Don,

That is what I am thinking and/or hope as this base is an alloy. It measures 12 inches in diameter, and the small hole is 5 inches. The trench art was assembled with castle bolts, if that may point in a direction.

Ann aircraft wheel centre is a good suggestion. Perhaps you could try a vintage aircraft forum and see if they can identify it.

Looking at the image that Gspragge kindly provided above, I see that the type of fuze is stenciled. However, when looking at "Treatise of Ammunition 1902" I see that the aforementioned fuze stenciling is not pictured.

I have restored the projectile, painted it black and added the red and white bands. Beyond this (casing is marked 1918) how would have this projectile looked in 1918? Would the fuze type be included? Would the proper fuze for this projectile in 1918 be a MK IV?

Help.......!

Did 6 pounders which were fielded circa World War One, ever have the type of fuze installed, stenciled on the body of the projectile?

It is in no way my intent to somehow inadvertently offend the queen by incorrectly restoring or falsely representing her majesty's ammunition.

A little help here would be greatly appreciated. Ergo....."bump".

It is in no way my intent to somehow inadvertently offend the queen by incorrectly restoring or falsely representing her majesty's ammunition.
It would have been His Majesty's Ammunition in WW1 - King George V was on the throne then.