What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 Pdr Molins

M

Matt W

Saw this 6pdr Molins gun at RAF Cosford Museum as fitted to the Mosquito fighter bomber. The feed mechanism looks extremely complex, if anyone could explain how it works and how reliable it was I'd be grateful.

Attachments

• _6074218.jpg
    _6074218.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 58
  • _6074219.jpg
    _6074219.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 71
  • _6074220.jpg
    _6074220.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 56
  • _6074221.jpg
    _6074221.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 57
Mollins

dont know how it works but it must have been pretty reliable to go into service, no doubt a lot of it is to do with controlling G forces and still have it reload. Mollins made ciggarette filling machines and some while ago I wrote to them for info on this subject but got no reply. 2pr

They also made the 120mm loader for the Conqueror tank, an old tankie said it was an unreliable nightmare.

Thanks Jan, very good! The recoil certainly knocks the Mossie back

Its indeed a heavy punch for a wooden plane. Surprised it did not fall off after the first shot.

Regards, Jan

There is some pages on this in the Col Chin book

on automatic weapons. It looks like the rounds on display are 6pdr. 700wht, I thought they should be the 6 pdr. 600 wht. There is a whole chapter on this gun, I can copy the disc for interested parties.

Last edited:
6 Pdr.

There are also some details and a couple of good illustrations in Wallace's "Guns of the R.A.F. 1939-45"

Regards
TonyE