What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 Pdr Nordenfelt

SHAKY

This 6 pounder I recently found was what I'd hoped to be what I needed to match up with my 1898 UMC casing. The projectile has a driving band that looks like Nordenfelt to me, has probably been used as practise as it looks like its punched a hole through something light before getting a couple nice scars on it from something a little harder. There's no markings on the projectile so I figured U.S. projo as the markings would probably be on the DB and can no longer be found.
Between Hotchkiss, Nordenfelt, Driggs, Cockerill and so on, it's been a heck of a lot of information all at once. Enjoyable yet daunting.
Does anyone else think these will match ? Or are the dates of these two items be a bit out of line. I'd appreciate being corrected if I have it wrong. Also sad that my case has a crack problem that seems to be growing:cry:6 pr RF 001.jpg6 pr RF 002.jpg6 pr RF 003.jpg6 pr RF 004.jpg6 pr RF 005.jpg6 pr RF 006.jpg

Quick, drill a hole at end on crack, about 3-4 times the wdith of the crack. Should stop the movement. Then maybe you can solder or braze the crack.

Arghh! I really don't want to drill a hole in it ! I have a little black zip-tie to just hold it in place for now, and the projo out.. I was thinking of annealing for now and getting it brazed when I find a material close to what the case is if I find some sacrificial bit.

I know it's probably the right thing to do but I'm just afraid to do something I know little about. If it gets any worse I will drill it.
I'd still however be interested in any thoughts on the projo date and if it is indeed a Nordenfelt or at least a U.S. manufacture.
Thanks, SHAKY

Could be a Nordenfelt, but I have never heard of a US made one. Most likely British. Nordenfelt items are scarce and when found, have many more varities in projectile shape than you would think with the limited use. Also, references are difficult to find. Nice mystery pieces to keep you busy when you are lucky enough to get one.

I might add: UMC cases in my experience, are more fragile than Winchester or those made by US government arsenals.

Annealing should be enough. Why soldering it? Better a clean crack than a wrong material (brass alloy) applied and having the case ruined. Why do things always have to look "new"?

Thanks for the information highlandotter. Something to continue researching. I also like the look of the casing EOD. Many of my cases have a heavy patina, this one has freckles. I also agree that annealing will be good enough if the split continues to worsen.
Cheers, SHAKY

I would not wait till it gets worse to be honest unless it is just the neck which cracks on many cases if the crack goes into the shoulder already I would do something about.

This case had been sitting on the shelf for a year or two until now, and the crack had widened in this time but not really lengthened. It has stopped before the shoulder. Your right EOD. It should be annealed soon.
Thanks again, SHAKY