What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6-Pdr proj.

ydnum303

Hi all,

Have recently acquired what I thought was a 6-Pdr 7Cwt H.E. round (all totally inert, of course).

However, a closer inspection when I got it home has raised a few doubts. Although the case is a nice 1941-dated 6-Pdr 7Cwt, the shell I suspect is for a different gun.
It has the following stamps as shown:-

. IX NT / N
. 6PR
. BS WGB
. 6 / 45
. LOT

It has no fuze, but only a plug stamped:
. P12 II
. ^ N
. VAEL 3/36

It has a projection on the base, threaded, presumably for a tracer, and the plug therein is stamped:-
8.SSG
I . N

Total length is 220mm, Length from fuze-well to base 201mm; and length from fuze-well to top of driving band is 141mm.

The driving band is 20.5mm wide, and unlike those on the other 7Cwt rounds I have (which are smooth), this has 2 grooves, and looks very similar to those on 6-Pdr Hotchkiss projectiles. In addition, the crimping groove is 19mm below the driving band, as opposed to the 11mm on my 7Cwt projs.

So is this for the 6-Pdr Hotchkiss?? With a date of 6/45, I would have thought that that gun was long out of service, and the shell was for something else. Seems to be for Naval service from all the "N"s stamped on plugs, etc.

Also, what fuze would have been fitted?

All information gratefully received.
Thanks in advance,

Roger.

Hi Roger,the early Hotchkiss guns were re used in WW2 and from memory newer Mks used on MTBs etc including a Twin mounting. Cases turn up the same size as for the early guns ww2 dated and marked 6 Pdr V. Try the search for other types,cheers Tig.

does NT on a shell indicate night tracer? as to dateof the shell I have a 6pr Hotchkiss type case dated 1940 and thought that a bit late.

I have a 1938 dated 6Pr Hotchkiss case. I think they were in a situation at this stage where they had to use anything they could find.

Hi Clive no idea about the NT,but the Hotchkiss guns were used as weapons in WW2 for sure,also just checked Navweaps and they list the 6pdr 7cwt as an auto loading weapon on later mtbs,using Molins autoloading,so the projectile could be correct for the case,Roger does the case have an N stamp? Only a HE shell is listed for this use. A scarce shell in its naval form. Quatermass or SG500 will have more info i think. A pic would be great if possible,cheers tig

Roger, from the description it sounds like a HE shell for the 6 PR 8 CwT (Hotchkiss).

The guns were used on MLs, MTBs, 'Flower' class corvettes and other minor vessels.

The Hotchkiss happens to be my favourite round, so if you fancied swapping it I've got a 1945 dated case that needs a projectile!

Guys,

Maybe a HE style proj for a 6Pdr 10Cwt anti torpedo boat gun?

A picture would be great?

Regards Ozzi.

Hi all,

Many thanks for the info so far.

Wish I could post photos, but unable to, which is why I gave as many dimensions as possible.

Although I know that at the start of WW2 we were desperate for any armaments, and did press the Hotchkiss back into service (and hence the cases with dates from the early 1940s), I had thought that by the end of the war all such guns had been replaced by more modern ones, and ammunition would no longer have been made. However, Q's 1945-dated case would seem to prove otherwise!

The 6-Pdr 7Cwt, and 6-Pdr 6Cwt projectiles I have all have the relevant "Cwt" bit stamped on them. Don't have a 10Cwt proj, so do not know whether this would have had the gun weight shown, or what the form of the driving band is, or the position of the crimping groove.

The 7Cwt case it came in just has the "ordinary" headstamping, with no "N".

So am beginning to think that it is most probably "just" a Hotchkiss shell, instead of something more exotic!! Will have to take a lot more care when buying things in future!

Roger.

Yes, suspected that the "NT" part of the stamping stood for "Night Tracer"