What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 Pdr question

bacarnal

Ordnance Approved/Premium
Ordnance approved
Finally got this thing apart using a primitive bullet puller comprised of a length of 3" PVC pipe with two notches cut out so the pipe could compress around the casing. Combined two 2" hose clamps for the compression ring and pounded it on a board nose down. Now, even though I had never had this apart, I knew that it could have a impact inertia BD fuze so I took the precaution of having it X-rayed first. That said, it took a lot of whacks before it would come apart, but it finally did. Not quite sure what it is other than a 6 Pdr. Case length is 306mm, rimmed base is 76mm, and projectile length is 215mm. If someone could please enlighten me, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Bruce.

Attachments

• PC290991.jpg
    PC290991.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 71
  • PC290988.jpg
    PC290988.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 74
  • PC290989.jpg
    PC290989.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 69
  • PC290987.jpg
    PC290987.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 64
  • PC290990.jpg
    PC290990.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 79
Bruce, this is a Hotchkiss 6pdr. the symbol on the projectile makes me think it is Dutch.

Thanks, EOD. Would anyone know what the headstamp is on the bottom of the casing or is that Hotchkiss also? Cheers, Bruce.

Yes Maxim Nordenfelt, I have seen that kind of band on 1890s American 6 Prs also. Hotchkiss had a rounded triple rib shape Making the band like that might be a way of getting around a Hotchkiss patent, similar but not quite the same.

The casing is made by Maxim Nordenfelt, the projectile is not. I looks American to me, but these were made for export also. Adding to this the re-use of cases means a mix like this is more than possible and if those marks are Dutch we know who bought the two components.