What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 pounder & mosquito question.

Michel

Today I was reading David Owens book anti submarine warfare. (nice to read). And there was a piece of the mosquito with the 57 mm 6 pounder auto cannon mounted.
It fired the regular ap projectiles. Where these carteridges marked in a special way or where they regular navy or land forces shot.

Thanks Michel

As far as I know it used the standard AP shot. The ones I've seen lack any cap on the projectile, and the MV is the same as in the L/50 anti-tank gun.

Hello Weasel,

Thanks for pointing in the right direction. Very nice site lots of info & good pics. If somebody has info about the headstamps (if there are any) it would be nice to know.

Groeten Michel

Hello Tony,

Thanks for your answer. Would the ammo be marked up N (navy) because of it's role in coastal command. This question comes from the use of the L/43 model on the RN mtb's with lower mv this to the use of a different propellent propably marked up N.
Or would they just get them from land forces stock? This would be a good reason to ad a regular 6 pounder casing to my collection.

Groeten Michel

I don't know if they received any special markings but I'd be surprised if anyone went to the trouble. There was only one squadron of these planes, after all, so their ammo use would have been minimal. I suspect they just pulled them from army stocks.