What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 pounder navy & 3 pounder navy question.

Michel

Today I bought these 2 casings. While looking at the bottom stamp of the 6 pounder I saw no sign of a N (navy mark) but a anchor sign. Is this a navy casing without the Navy mark. Or export, or just very old (pre 1900) length of the case is the correct one 58x307R.
image.jpg

Also this 3 pounder case was added to my collection. But after measuring the case length was not correct normally it would be 47x376R but this one is 51x318R maybe blank cartridge was my thought. But the blank I have is 47x249R and this one has crimp markings. Maybe someone could enlighten me about this case.
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
with the 3 pr an obvious question what is the neck dia? 3pr should be 47mm, if cut down then it will be bigger.

It is bigger I put the measements in the previous post. 51x318R but it has crimp marks around the neck?

the Mk IV blank is 52x248R and these are in the 1915 ammo text book but I dont know how long they were in srevice and if later blanks were made from cut down cases.

The Mk IV blank 52x249R I have is ww2 dated. But the 51x318R with crimp marks I haven't seen anywhere, maybe someone else has a clue.