What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 pr case headstamp

Gspragge

Premium Member
This casing is not mine, I believe it is a Navel 6pr Nordenfelt style.
Is there anything to be known by the numerous stamps and marks on it ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 7.50.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 7.50.35 PM.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 80
From my experience with this era of british casings (any british collectors who are more of an export correct me where I am wrong), the casing was made on the 19th (maybe?) of October in 1900. It was cordite filled, made for the mk3 6 pounder gun (i dont know which that is specifically just reading what the casing says) and it was made at Royal Laboratories. Thats the extent of my knowledge for some of the markings.

From my experience with this era of british casings (any british collectors who are more of an export correct me where I am wrong), the casing was made on the 19th (maybe?) of October in 1900. It was cordite filled, made for the mk3 6 pounder gun (i dont know which that is specifically just reading what the casing says) and it was made at Royal Laboratories. Thats the extent of my knowledge for some of the markings.

Hi Ben,

My take on the headstamps is as follows (and others may correct me also): It's a Mk III case for the 6 pdr naval gun made by Royal Laboratories (Royal Arsenal, Woolwich, London) in 1900. It was accepted for service on 19th October 1900 by government inspector 9 who stamped the date, his number and the broad arrow pheon to signify acceptance. It was loaded with a full charge of smokeless propellant (C = smokeless propellant, often Cordite, F = full charge). I in a circle identifies the primer type., I believe a Mk 1(?) and this stamp is seen only on 3 and 6 pdr cases. I do not know the meaning of the V 35 (perhaps a Lot no. or another inspector's mark), the square symbol below the year, or the significance of the letter "T" . I've read that the T was to identify tank use, but I've seen this on many 6 pdr cases - too many for it to be for tank use.

Regards, Graeme

It is very possible that it does indicate for tank use because the early WWI Tanks MkIV and Mk V used the naval 6 Pr either side as the main armament. They had to cut the barrels down because they got filled with mud.

The rounds for the shorter barrels had a reduced charge and were blackened half way up. wether the first issues for the full
length guns had a reduced charge I have no idea.