What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

60 mm APFSDS-T ammunition for IMI HVMS 60 weapon (Israel)

SG500

Premium Member
This looks like a scaled down version of a tank round.
The 60 mm APFSDS-T ammunition for IMI HVMS 60 weapon (Israel).
The photos show a fully weighted dummy round (inert). Its not much bigger than a 6pr7cwt round.

Full details are given on the attached link.

http://www.janes.com/extracts/extract/jah/jah_0175.html

Dave.

Attachments

• 30 April 09 001.jpg
    30 April 09 001.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 30 April 09 002.jpg
    30 April 09 002.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 30 April 09 004.jpg
    30 April 09 004.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 106
  • 30 April 09 005.jpg
    30 April 09 005.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 86
A pic of the one I used to have (from the Ammo Photo Gallery on my site), next to a 6pdr 7cwt with an experimental APFSDS loading, an experimental 40mm Bofors L/70 APDS, another experimental - the 50x330 "Supershot" APFSDS - a 35x228 APDS and the 40mm CTA.

modsubcart2.jpg

Oh yes, NICE rounds there Tony.
The 40mm CTA, supershot and 6pr apfsds are gaps in my collection, if you hear of any spare I'd be very interested.
Dave.

Dave,

Very nice round! I've been wanting one of those for years!

John

This is a beauty, Dave! One of my all time favorite APFSDS rounds. I have been hunting for one of these for 12 years here in the US with no luck. They all seem to be on your side of the pond. I was told that IMI made these for Chile.

Jason

There is a huge box of those inert ones (HE as well) over here in Europe. Literally all inert ones we see are from that source.

I contacted that guy about 8 months ago but he will not ship them to me in the US. SO BUMMED! He was a super nice guy.

Jason

That is simply because to export this one abroad he would need the same documents as for an aircraft carrier.

This is a beauty, Dave! One of my all time favorite APFSDS rounds. I have been hunting for one of these for 12 years here in the US with no luck. They all seem to be on your side of the pond. I was told that IMI made these for Chile.

Yes, Chile is the only user of this ammo. They regunned some old tanks with a manually-loaded version of the 60mm gun (the Israeli and Italian guns were both autoloaders) and have also installed it in some 6x6 armoured cars.

Tony, is Chile producing this ammunition too? I can't frind a reference for this if so.

Not as far as I know, and frankly I'd be surprised. The number of guns is too small and the ammo expenditure surely too limited for local production to be worthwhile. In fact, I doubt that anyone is producing it now - I suspect that IMI made enough for Chile's needs for the foreseeable future.

Much the same as for the Oerlikon KBB 25x180 ammo: the guns are still in service with the Turkish Navy, but the ammo is no longer being made By RWM (although production could presumably be restarted if required). AFAIK Turkey has never made this ammo.

Great info, Alex and Tony! Thanks so much. Still wish there was a way to get one of these to the US legally. The guy who has the box basically said the same thing you mentioned. It would require extreme permits to sell to me from his country. :-(

Jason

Not as far as I know, and frankly I'd be surprised. The number of guns is too small and the ammo expenditure surely too limited for local production to be worthwhile. In fact, I doubt that anyone is producing it now - I suspect that IMI made enough for Chile's needs for the foreseeable future.

Much the same as for the Oerlikon KBB 25x180 ammo: the guns are still in service with the Turkish Navy, but the ammo is no longer being made By RWM (although production could presumably be restarted if required). AFAIK Turkey has never made this ammo.

Thanks! Just wanted to be on the safe side.

From memory of a presentation in the 80's, the Israeli round was designed to match or hopefully excede the performance of the 105mm APDS.

I think it got very close but with reduced behind armour effects. The aim was to have the performance of the 105mm APDS with a much lighter and smaller weapon system.

There is a huge box of those inert ones (HE as well) over here in Europe. Literally all inert ones we see are from that source.

Ok, since I posted this message above I got half a dozen messages as for who and where to get. Answer: I do not know.