What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

60 pounder box

Gambardier

I've noticed the same type of box appearing often in photos of the 60 pounder gun - appears to be about two feet high. Has anyone got any info on this, what it was for, or even better yet have dimensions and images of it?

It can be seen in this image;
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:60pdrsFeuchyBattleOfArras1917.jpg - on the ground on the left, with a light circle painted on it

Have a feeling it may be for charge bags as opposed to shells

Cheers, Rob

Hi Rob,

I've had this box for a number of years and dug it out of the shed when I saw your post.

I'm not sure if it is connected to the box shown in the photo, as this is WW2 dated. However the dimensions appear to be similar. The base and rear are damaged, there is no lid and some items of furniture appear to have been removed - but this is exactly how it was when I got it.

I have taken a picture of the inside, so you can see the internal construction. Not sure if this helps at all?

This really is outside my collecting field so any information would be welcome.

regards Kev

HPIM5523.jpg HPIM5525.jpg HPIM5524.jpg

Hi Kev,
Can you read what it says on the explosives label. At 6 oclock it will have either W/l\D , N, or RAF for the arm of service. RAF would lend its self towards Rockets.
Cheers
Hangarman

Hi Kev,
Me again. Does it have a number/ letter on the base. It looks very much like an H32 but twice as deep.
Cheers
Hangarman

Hi Hangarman,

Here are some pictures of the label and base of the box.

Unfortunately the label is torn at the 6 o'clock position and I can't make it out - maybe you can with your experience - I would just be guessing!!

Better luck with the base, although severly warped the markings are still intact. It is impressed ' W 126 ' and also is dated ' 1944 ' (lower left in photo)

Maybe this will help with the ID??
I hadn't noticed the markings on the base before and I have had this box for many years.

regards Kev

Attachments

• HPIM5534.jpg
    HPIM5534.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 14
  • HPIM5532.jpg
    HPIM5532.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 16
W126? In that case ill take a wild stab in the dark and take a guess at some sort of 60lb demolition charge of some description. Would a Government Explosive Label "2" be appropriate for this?

I have seen (and almost obtained) A W.131 (I think) that was for a shaped charge in a box with batch dates of 1945 that had just been returned from the 'stan. Apparantly someone in India still manufactures whatever it was and still uses the W.131 box.