What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

60 Pounder Shrapnell Shells

Gambardier

Thought these may be of interest, my two 60 Pounder shrapnell shells

WW1pics010.jpg

WW1pics009.jpg

Shrapnel Shell Mk 1, very clumsy looking

WW1pics006.jpg

The rarer Shrapnel Shell Mk 2, much more streamlined

WW1pics008.jpg

Close up of fuse

WW1pics013.jpg

Fuse taken apart

WW1pics014.jpg

Friction tube, inserted into a vent in the breech mechanism after it had been closed, and used to fire the gun

I'll get around to doing a proper photo walkaround of the IWM 60 pounder one day....

Hello
I am always with you on this forum but I am also trs occupied by my work.
I supervise the every day the requests but the answers come also very quickly and I will not want to make redundancies.
Be without fear I am always attentive and carries a great interest has this forum

Hi Gambardier,I like that very nice thanks for showing it i have one of these on my wants list. i see the friction tube has a missing pull loop i have a spare if needed.
Andy

Attachments

• Friction fuze.jpg
    Friction fuze.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
60 Pdr Schrap

Hi,
I'm probably fault, but are the markings and bands of a 60 Pdr Schrap not red in place of yellow ?

I thought the T friction tube was for smaller guns and some medium howitzers... didn't the 60-pounder use a straight percussion tube like this in a percussion lock : ?
V.S.PercussionTubeMkVIIDiagram.jpg

Hi rcbutcher, i've got an article on the 60 pdr and it's ammunition which came with the shells, and it does use the T friction tube. I'll get around to repainting the bands and markings at some point

what sort of price would you be looking at for an unfired Shrapnel Shell Mk 2

regards lee

No idea to be honest - I paid about 45 each for my two shrapnel shells. I'm always on the lookout for more 60 pounder related bits ie original manuals if anyone has some

Very impressive shells Gambardier. They certainly are large. Are these WW1 vintage? Something about the "big stuff" that does it for me....Dano

Hi, they were found on the WW1 battlefields and restored, so should be! Apparently the 'fuse collector' for the dealer has his own way of ensuring there's no explosive left - building a big bonfire and putting the fuses on them, and presumably then running away!

I've had an interest in the 60 pounder since first seeing the preserved one (I believe the only one in the UK) at the IWM

60 pdr

Hi gambardier,
Boy, have I got a place for one of those :tinysmile_twink_t2: it would be in our hallway, just inside the Front door, on the floor, opposite an 18 pdr shrapnel shell, and casing, on a chest of drawers !!:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Regards,

Nigel.