What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6inch trench mortar

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Im going to undertake a restoration of some 6inch trench mortar rounds for work,according to a document showing the markings and colours on these they are finished with Copal varnish..what colour is copal varnish ??
is it the same shellac colour as used on later 3inch mortars and mills grenades ?
thanks in advance allan

Attachments

• P1000605.jpg
    P1000605.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 131
  • P1000608.jpg
    P1000608.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Hi Spotter,
Talking to a french polishing friend of mine and the answer is yes, it is a alcohol varnish the same as shellac, just by a different name so shellac flake dissolved in alcohol.
Hope that is useful, look forward to seeing the finished item, and any steps along the way as well.
Best regards Weasel.

Hi Allan,

it didnt used to be, the resin was in fact made from amber which was heated till it melted and then added to a very hot oil and allowed to cool.
However, as amber is now classed as a semi precious substance its far too expensive to make. Other resins are now used. I found all this out by googling Copal varnish.
I suspect that Mills grens were covered in the same stuff too.

Andy

Allan,

Sorry for late reply, I've been away.

Copal varnish, although in quantity it appears the same colour a fresh engine oil, it goes on clear and dries clear. I have a number of grenades I re-Copaled about 35 years ago and they look as if they've been polyurethaned. Also, Copal takes a long, long time to harden and this might have been a reason for the switch to Shellac.

Amber is fossilised wood resin, Copal is 'all but' fossilised wood resin. It is still availabe from art suppliers, but you need to check very carefully that it is genuine and not synthetic.

Regards

TimG.

well ive just finished this project ,,i manged to make one out of two,,it was a pain in the a**e to do and ill never attempt one again,,couldnt get the colouring right so it will have to do as it is..
,colour markings are for the empty practice or proof of fuzes bomb as per attatched drawing

Attachments

• P1010348.jpg
    P1010348.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 100
  • P1000608.jpg
    P1000608.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 70
  • mors1.jpg
    mors1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 76
That's quite a transformation Spotter, looks really good i hope they will be happy with it, they should be !
Best regards Weasel.

Top job Spotter.
Have a 3" rocket motor that needs the same treatment. One day ill get round to it......
Hangarman

Great job Allan

Give it a couple of months and you'll forget all the agrivations of the renovation. Certainly from where I'm sitting a very nice job indeed - well done that man!!!

regards Kev

Allan,

Sorry for late reply, I've been away.

Copal varnish, although in quantity it appears the same colour a fresh engine oil, it goes on clear and dries clear. I have a number of grenades I re-Copaled about 35 years ago and they look as if they've been polyurethaned. Also, Copal takes a long, long time to harden and this might have been a reason for the switch to Shellac.

Amber is fossilised wood resin, Copal is 'all but' fossilised wood resin. It is still availabe from art suppliers, but you need to check very carefully that it is genuine and not synthetic.

Regards

TimG.
Yes the copal varnish was clear when applied. After years of aging it takes the browner apperance of what we would normally associate with varnish. Great project....Dano

Im going to undertake a restoration of some 6inch trench mortar rounds for work,according to a document showing the markings and colours on these they are finished with Copal varnish..what colour is copal varnish ??
is it the same shellac colour as used on later 3inch mortars and mills grenades ?
thanks in advance allan

Well done Allan its nice to see you take on some bigger items of
ordnance and will await the outcome:tinysmile_grin_t:

Best phil