What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6pdr FG? Who knew?

bacarnal

Ordnance Approved/Premium
Ordnance approved
I just dredged this little item out of my trash heap. I bought this years ago on e-bay from Canada. Once I got it in hand I was disappointed that it was a cut down casing and paid it no notice till recently. The base is standard 6pdr Naval, rim dia at 2.990" or 75.95mm. Cut down length is 9.1875" or 233.36mm and mouth is 2.535" or 64.39mm. I was trying to decide what to do with this piece of trash, and finally took a good second look at the base. It reads, "6Pdr R FG", over, "FA 1905". Primer reads, "F A", over, "5 13 8". Three punch marks which I assume mean three re-loadings. I did do a search here to see if it had been mentioned, but nix. Does ANYONE have information on this gun? I can't find any info on the net about either a "6pdr Rifled Field Gun" or "6pdr Repeating Filed Gun". Thanks, Bruce.

Attachments

• PB231710.JPG
    PB231710.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 36
  • PB231711.JPG
    PB231711.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 49
3 and 6 pdrs were often cut down for blanks. I have a 3 pdr that was recovered from the waters off Long Island. It is Naval marked. 6 pdrs were usually Naval guns in US service, until WW1 tanks. Your case predates that.

highlandotter, We've found 3pdr rounds at a place that was totally land-locked and used as a training facility pre-WWI. Wondered if the 3pdr was put on a carriage mount also. Still makes me wonder about this round since it was made at Frankford Arsenal 1905. The possibility that it could have been a blank is some consolation, but the fact that it started as a shell for weapon no one knows about currently is intriguing. If anyone has any ideas, comments or smart remarks, feel free to chime in. Cheers, Bruce.

I stared digging in my references and could not find any 6 pdrs used by the field army. then I thought about the Coast Artillery, a separate command. There is a M1898 6 pdr used both on pillar mount and also on carriage mount. As your case is Rock Island? ,which usually made stuff for the Army, that fits. The Navy had their own artillery arsenals. So this seems to indicate a cut down Army case for blank use. The 6pdr had a short life, maybe 20 years , being replaced by various models of 3"" guns then returning in WW2as a refined anti tank gun.