What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6pdr Headstamp identification

ckolonko

Hello everyone,

I bought this 6-pdr shell case last year for the princely sum of 9. Could anyone decipher the headstamps as I've had no luck.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

V S &M is for Vickers, Sons and Maxim, which dates this to the early 1900s. the CF is for full charge, the others I don't know but probably refer to lot # and inspectors marks.. should be no problem to find a projectile for it.

The case is a Mk III.
The "1" in a circle denotes that the case is fitted with a Mk II (thin) cap.
The "A" in a circle and the two punch marks denotes the case has been annealed twice (after firing).
The case has been fired three times, filled four times - 4 x F
The case has been repaired by Priddy's Hard (Royal Navy Armaments Depot, Gosport) three times. The numbers denote the series or batch.

TimG

Thank you both for the great information :) That's just what I was after. I am currently looking for a projectile for it but don't know how much they usually sell for.