What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6Pounder 10cwt drill round

charley777

This brass and wood drill round has recently come up for sale. Sadly, the photo of the base is too out-of-focus to reproduce here. I think it is the real thing though...which presumably makes it as rare as claimed by seller. Anyway, an interesting piece. The lever in the side of the base somehow releases the "projectile" which is probably chromed brass.

Attachments

• 57x464R  6Pr 10cwt drill1.jpg
    57x464R 6Pr 10cwt drill1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 57x464R  6Pr 10cwt drill2.jpg
    57x464R 6Pr 10cwt drill2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 57x464R  6Pr 10cwt drill3.jpg
    57x464R 6Pr 10cwt drill3.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 57x464R  6Pr 10cwt drill5.jpg
    57x464R 6Pr 10cwt drill5.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 49
drill

Maybe I'm being negative but I've never seen a drill round with detachable projectile, the bases are usually made so if the gun is fired then the firing pin will not get damaged. If the base photo is out of focus when the rest is clear why? Think I'd like to see some markings. But armourers did make their own so maybe??? 2pr

Maybe I'm being negative but I've never seen a drill round with detachable projectile, the bases are usually made so if the gun is fired then the firing pin will not get damaged. If the base photo is out of focus when the rest is clear why? Think I'd like to see some markings. But armourers did make their own so maybe??? 2pr

I agree with 2pr that this is not a standard type of drill round. The primer is usually rubber centered and what is the piece for on the side of the brass base? Why would you want to detach a projectile from a fixed round? An interesting piece nevertheless.

D

It is a drill cartridge, but not one to be used in the gun, its for use with an 'Apparatus, Practising Loading'.

It is a drill cartridge, but not one to be used in the gun, its for use with an 'Apparatus, Practising Loading'.

Any thoughts as to why the proj is detachable Q? Is the 'lever' in the side to lock the cartridge in place as its for AA use?

D

The cartridge is assembled by pressing in the actuating plunger or pin, placing the shell in the case and then releasing the pin, with the result that the lug of the lever grips the undercut of the shell base. When the cartridge is loaded in the apparatus the actuating pin is automatically pressed in, releasing the lever from the shell, which travels on slightly. On the round being fired, the case is extracted to the rear in the usual way, leaving the shell to be discharged from the front of the apparatus.

Source: Handbook for the Q.F. 3-INCH 20-CWT.

The 'cartridge' is not mentioned in the 1939 6-PR 10-CWT Handbook but the same style of round is pictured and described in the 3-INCH 20-CWT (1940) Handbook.

I'd guess the shell separating from the case allows for more realistic loading/extracting practice.

The cartridge is assembled by pressing in the actuating plunger or pin, placing the shell in the case and then releasing the pin, with the result that the lug of the lever grips the undercut of the shell base. When the cartridge is loaded in the apparatus the actuating pin is automatically pressed in, releasing the lever from the shell, which travels on slightly. On the round being fired, the case is extracted to the rear in the usual way, leaving the shell to be discharged from the front of the apparatus.

Source: Handbook for the Q.F. 3-INCH 20-CWT.

The 'cartridge' is not mentioned in the 1939 6-PR 10-CWT Handbook but the same style of round is pictured and described in the 3-INCH 20-CWT (1940) Handbook.

I'd guess the shell separating from the case allows for more realistic loading/extracting practice.

Makes perfect sense Q, thanks for the explanation.

D

drill

Quatermass thanks for the explanation. Never heard of such a piece of kit. I'm impressed. 2pr

That explains it!

Thanks Quatermass , for the information. It has explained the mystery of the detachable "shell".
And thanks, Dave for the link. I have already been envious of that round so an opportunity for further drooling (as you so poetically describe the feeling) :tinysmile_twink_t2:
So now i will see if i can provide a winning bid ....hmmm