What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7,5cm K. Gr. rot Pz

marek_wawa

Hi guys!

Some time ago I've managed to obtain few pcs of 7,5cm K.Gr. rot Pz projectiles.
All I know is that they were usen in KwK37. Does any of you know some thing more? Why wasn't it more common?

Pictures of one of theme.

Attachments

• _MG_6706.jpg
    _MG_6706.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 113
  • _MG_6708.jpg
    _MG_6708.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 77
  • _MG_6710.jpg
    _MG_6710.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 82
  • _MG_6712.jpg
    _MG_6712.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 102
  • _MG_6716.jpg
    _MG_6716.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 92
  • _MG_6718.jpg
    _MG_6718.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 80
  • _MG_6719.jpg
    _MG_6719.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 84
It was not very popular as it had a short shellcase and therefore a low velocity, with a low armour piercing capacity. The shell was also quite expensive to manufacture. It's only advantage was a relatively large explosive content , so a considerable behind the armour effect.
These shells are quite rare, compared to the later PzGr39 design which were used on larger shellcases like the KwK 40, the Pak 40 and the KwK42
Here a picture of the complete shell as a cutaway model.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 7_5_cm_kwkpazgrpatr.jpg
    7_5_cm_kwkpazgrpatr.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Hello,
I don't know. But also cases with no crimping groove exhist
IMG_5334.JPG6354St 7,5cm KwK ya 43.JPG

best regards

It was not very popular as it had a short shellcase and therefore a low velocity, with a low armour piercing capacity. The shell was also quite expensive to manufacture. It's only advantage was a relatively large explosive content , so a considerable behind the armour effect.
These shells are quite rare, compared to the later PzGr39 design which were used on larger shellcases like the KwK 40, the Pak 40 and the KwK42
I suspect that timing had something to do with the rarity of the short-75mm ammo: this gun saw most use early in the war, being gradually replaced by longer-barrelled guns firing more powerful ammo as the war progressed. So the earlier ammo was possibly all used up - it was the stuff actually in use right at the end of the war which stood most chance of being found unfired.

I believe there are versions without a crimping groove because the FK 16 na and the FK 18 75mm guns were separately loaded. These were the first weapons to fire this projectile. I have a no. 6343 case for the FK 16 na, and it is such a loose fit to my K Gr rot projectiles that it has to be separately loaded. It is nice to see the original red (rot) band fert.

All that makes sense now. M8owner were the cases the same for FK 16, FK18 and KwK37? I suppose they were becaude fert has one without crimping.

I suspect that timing had something to do with the rarity of the short-75mm ammo: this gun saw most use early in the war, being gradually replaced by longer-barrelled guns firing more powerful ammo as the war progressed. So the earlier ammo was possibly all used up - it was the stuff actually in use right at the end of the war which stood most chance of being found unfired.

The time period would make sense but possibly quantity has a bearing too. I mention this as obviously the 3.7cm Pak was also an early weapon but yet the shells are relatively abundant. Even the tungsten core pzgr40 is one of the easier ones to find compared to the larger pzgr40 projectiles.

Pc

Here's a selection of Kwk37's all cases marked 7,5cm Kwk 6354St....with the 7,5cm K.Gr. rot in the middle.
(If anyone has any near perfect 6354 cases for sale/swap, please let me know)

German 75mm KWK37 -1024.jpg

All items are inert/empty
Rich

Oh, Rich, Rich, Rich. I am sorry to call you out on that photo of KwK 37 rounds. That is a very nice Pz G K rot - better than mine, and I have seen evidence on this site that the HE Sprgr 34 with FES band is approved for the KwK 37. However, I know of no authorized use of the Pzgr 39 75mm AP projectile in this weapon. I have seen both the late and early war documents. They show only the Pz G K rot with KPS or FES driving bands for this ammunition - never the Pzgr 39. You are the master at panzer ammo, but I do not believe that combination is correct.

Steve

Oh Bollocks, Thats very kind of you Steve, but I know a good dozen that know a lot more than I....and I would much rather be corrected than be wrong and others learn from it. Whats even more annoying is that I have the same documents.

Attachments

• 7,5 cm Kwk.JPG
    7,5 cm Kwk.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I believe that one of the signs of greatness in this world is the ability to admit when we are wrong. So few are able to do it (certainly not Trump - and I voted for him). You are a great man, Rich. I look forward to meeting you one day. Steve

Richard, don't worry, your PzGr39 looks great in this casing, they should have been using them like that :) The font used on it looks weird, is this original?
This K.Gr rot is almost perfect! Very nice piece.
You are missing one thing I guess, a HL projectile like this.

20161231_104605.jpg20161231_104638.jpg20161231_104700.jpg

Gr.38 HL with KPS band :)

That is awesome Marek. I have never before seen a photo of the HEAT round for the KwK 37 with the KPS skirt style driving band.

I like it as well, and the condition is very nice. No paint but all the stamped marklings are visivble
:)