What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7,5cm K.w.K 42 Round

Jose__

After a couple years of hunting i finally just put my hands on a KwK42 round today!! unfortunately they put a wrong shell into the casing (and as always its stuck inside so i wont be able to fit my panzergranate...).. any hint on how to take it out safely without destroying everything? also, its curious to see how the shell casing has been stamped with a marine waffenamt, was that a mistake made in the fabric or?

Regards

Jose

4.jpg3.jpg1.jpg2.jpg

If you can find a piece of pipe, that is a few inches longer than the complete round, that the case will fit inside of, but the rim will still rest on the end of the pipe, you can use the inertia method to get the weight of the projectile to help it out of the case. you turn the round upside down, and insert it into the case with the rim resting on the end of the pipe. Raise both pieces a few inches of the ground, and slam the bottom end down on a hard surface. It might take a few hits to inertia the projo out. remove the fuze and put some padding on the tip of the projectile before you do that, so that when it pops out of the case, the padding will catch it from impacting on the hard surface. If you can't find a close fit of pipe, make a close fitting ring of wood that supports the case rim, and use a bit larger diameter pipe.

you can also squirt some penetrating oil into the case through the primer hole, with the round pointing down. the oil will seep between the case mouth and the projo exterior to reduce the friction during the inertia impacting.

Good job! It looks like your new projectile might need some body putty.

The marine acceptance stamp is OK, because the 7,5 cm Kwk 42 was also used as a coastel defence weapon.
grtz,
greif

Hello,
I think the navy waa, doesn't belong to costal defence weapon, but only because che Ck factory relied to a navy acceptance office.
navy waa was obseverd also on 10,5cm Geb.H. 40 Ck made.
For what I observed this markings was used in 1943-44.
best regards

There we go, just not happy about the color.. but couldnt find anything closer to the german black..

asses.jpg

Very nice work. Perhaps too good. None of my German projectiles with original paint and markings was done neatly. "FES" in particular is normally very crudely done with stamps and much overflow from excessive ink. I have two KwK 42 shell cases and one AP projectile being shipped to me. I look forward to finally getting my hands on a Panther round after searching for two years.

Very nice Job. Nice and interesting piece to add to your collection. Now you only have to find a nice Kwk40 or Pak40 shellcase to make the HE shell complete. Good luck ;)

Regards, DJH

Last edited:
....and of course the Pzgr.40/42 :)

Good luck Jose, and lovely restoration on your "Panther" AP (Also used in the Panzer IV/70)

Nice job, maybe "aging" the whith a Torch or so, but well done, the KWK42 is a rare case to find in a decent shape, do not know why, but they are as rare as chicken teeth.

thank you thank you :D, yea definitely a nice kwk42 casing (like all the kwk series i think) its not a easy hunt..., anyway what is that "torch" aging method?im quite interested. im desperately looking for something to age that shell. to M8owner, dont forget to post some pics as soon as they arrive!! and for the FES stencil i followed the picture below
pzpanther-charakter4.jpg

Last edited:
Hoi Jose,

sorry for my late response, i was in Italy this week:tinysmile_fatgrin_t. When you put some used oil ( as a film) on the new paiting, and than heat it up with a torch, the fire will put a brownish layer over the white paint. i would practise on some metal plates and when you find the right oil (i even tried butter) and exposure time, it realy looks nice, i even tried it on new yellow FLAK painted shells, and they look better then the original ones.

It is in excellent condition, and it now has the distinction of being my most expensive shell casing.

Very nice!!! how much ,if is possible to know, you paid for that shell casing?

Last edited: