What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7.7cm wooden 'projectile'

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I acquired this item recently, not really knowing what it is. It is 220mm overall in length and fits nicely in a German 7.7cm field gun case (which it came with). Solid wood of some age with what looks like the remnants of paint at the nose. There is an impressed '16' and two marks at 180 degrees that look like 'l' on the flat of the nose. The base edge is rounded, which is strange, and the base is also marked with 08, 80 or OB (probably 08) but difficult to be sure.

I have various German drill rounds and they are nothing like this. Could it be for blank firing? It is too well made to be just a lump of wood shoved in a case for display. Anyone have any ideas? TIA.

20210725_151601.jpg20210725_151625.jpg20210725_151613.jpg20210725_151736.jpg

I've seen about a dozen of these over the last few months in various sizes from circa 1 inch upwards to the size what you've shown on this post. All obviously old and the same sort of condition.
The first group were in an antique center in Leominster, they were labelled as "pipe formers" (google just came up no results).
Only today I was at the Malvern flea market and there were 4 of them in different sizes on one stall, from roughly 2 to 3.5 inches diameter.
I'm wondering if they are some sort of tool that has just appeared on the scene and is filtering through the antique/flea market system? Seems odd that several have appeared over the last few months.
Dave.

Burney Davis

looks like an old pub bar skittle. they do come in different sizes.

cheers womble

Last edited:
Thank you all for interesting responses. Inconclusive ID so far but sounds unlikely to be ordnance. Any further thoughts please feel free to to comment.