What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7.92 x 107mm German Maroszek anti tank rifle round

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
not exactly what you expect to find in a small Dorset town but I've just picked up what appears to be a 1940 dated 7.92 (8mm) Maroszek round. But, the case is only 105mm long and the bullet is non magnetic and would appear to be a standard 7.92 ball round.

a) did the case lengths vary slightly and b) did they use standard ball rounds for practice etc or is this perhaps a replacement bullet?

Over to you experts

many thanks , Dave

Attachments

• 100_6338.jpg
    100_6338.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 100_6339.jpg
    100_6339.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 113
just goes to show its not all in other peoples collections yet! Its actually better than the photo makes it look, the case is just a nice uncleaned brass colour with a few minor dark spots. But I'm not sure if the bullet is correct, its the same weight as a standard rifle ball. I expect someone out there will know for sure.

Dave

too short for a Lebel Rich and without those minute manufacturers details on the base - why go to the bother of putting the makers details on the base of a bullet that can only be read once the bullet has been fired. I don't suppose too many military surgeons had time to read what was on the bullet after it had been extracted.
This has a lead base plug and is the same size as a standard 7.92 ball.

Dave

By the red color of withering German standards the projectile should be an S.m.k piercing or S.m.k L'Spur piercing tracer.

Enrique.

OK Enrique, many thanks for that - the bullet must be a replacement then. Thank you for the information,

Dave

Hello Dave,

Polish manufactured Marozek used a standard ball projectile with a hard lead core, jacket being cupronickel.
German manufactured Marozek (PzB 35 p) rounds held the SmK-H-Rs projectile of the Patrone 318 (7,92x94).
There may or may not have been a German b version for this munition, iff that existed it would probably have held a standard sS (schweres Spitzgeschoss) projectile.
The primer annulus being red on your round, indicates an operational AP type, which would have had the SmK-H-Rs, so your bullet is the wrong type for this casing any way.

As a better looking replacement you might try get hold of a normal Spitzgeschoss (more stub and stronger curve) , which has the same look as the SmK-H-Rs, or try find latter (which may prove more difficult).

regards,

Menno.

Last edited:
many thanks Menno., clearly the incorrect bullet. I'll have to try and get an aP type with the core removed. Presumably that would have a black tip.

Thank you for the information

Dave

By the red color of withering German standards the projectile should be an S.m.k piercing or S.m.k L'Spur piercing tracer.

Enrique.

The bullet name was; SmK H - Rs Lsp ( Spits mit Kern Hart Reitzgas Lechtspur )
Dont ask me why, but the bullet had a small tear gas element inside.

Rgds

how odd, one would have thought the bullet on its own would have brought tears to your eyes!

Many thanks Dutch for the extra info - I know a lot more now about this round now than I did yesterday!

Dave

I'd have thought the idea behind the CS pellet was that it would release tear gas inside the target vehicle and force the crew to get out...
Jim

Excellent item! Most I have seen have a Polish headstamp. I have never seen one with a German style headstamp made by S&B (ak) in Czechoslovakia! Well done!

Lew