What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75 X 340 shells

Slick

Just noticed there was not a "SHELL" category. So, here I am in the TRENCH ART category. Which is fine. Considering.

Interesting that they are dated '16, '17 & '18. Lucky in that, I suppose. If anyone can make note of details or point me in the general direction of info on these, I would appreciate it.

Does anyone have any idea how the indentions were made on these trench art shells? It's too perfect to have been hand done. It seems to be a common disfigurement style. No etchings are evident.

Rick

Shell, 75 X 340 001 (Small).jpg Shell, 75 X 340 005 (Small).jpg Shell, 75 X 340 002 (Small).jpg Shell, 75 X 340 003 (Small).jpg Shell, 75 X 340 004 (Small).jpg Shell, 75 X 340 006 (Small).jpg Shell, 75 X 340 007 (Small).jpg

They are WW1 dated shell cases for the French 75 mm field gun model 1897. Two are US made cases, the ARS case is French. They are the most common French case to be found from WW1 besides the 37x94 mm cases.

Hi Slick,would it be possible the indentations were done in some form of drill chuck,I agree with you that they are far too precise to be hand done,
Regards,Don,

Hoeksel

Thanks for all that. One can only imagine how many gazillions of these cases were made.

Don

Maybe a 3 jaw lathe "chuck". Can't imagine a die being made specifically for this chore, but who knows.

Rick

Just noticed there was not a "SHELL" category. So, here I am in the TRENCH ART category. Which is fine. Considering.

Strictly speaking, a "shell" is a hollow projectile fired from a gun, and usually containing HE or other nastiness. As opposed to a "shot" which in artillery terms is a solid armour-piercing projectile.

What you are talking about and illustrating are "cartridge cases" (although sometimes these are loosely known as "shell cases", as Hoeksel demonstrates!).

While I'm in nitpicking mode, the other common technical error is to refer to a projectile as a "head"....