What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm G gas shell

Lou

Inert/Empty!!Picked these two up at a show today. Dont know too much about them.
No M-designation but a few lot numbers.
One has the flame bomb stamp, C 35 OV 8559 SLW and the other,with the wooden plug nose,has crossed cannons and some kind of stylized flower, AP687-W-AC Lot G892-12 PIW

Anyone have any idea of era of use?

Attachments

• 75Ggas 003.jpg
    75Ggas 003.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 75Ggas 004.jpg
    75Ggas 004.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 75Ggas 006.jpg
    75Ggas 006.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 75Ggas 007.jpg
    75Ggas 007.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 81
75mm G gas shells...

Hello Lou,

CONGRATULATIONS on finding those two 75mm "special gas" projectiles. Their condition is FANTASTIC! Unfortunately, since I shy away from the chemical stuff, I can't provide any assistance into their load composition.

Best regards,

Randall

Top projectile was phosgene (CG), a chocking gas/lung injurant. The second was a mixture of Phosgene and Chloropicrin (PG) with the same type of action. They both were classed as non-persistent, meaning that the gas would fade from the battlefield after a short amount of time (minutes/hours) depending on the weather conditions.

The US developed them for WWI, but had troubles in development in sealing the projectiles and the first batch of US CW were delivered to Europe just days after the end of the war. We then kept them in stocks until the beginning of WWII, but they were already obsolete by the start of the war. They are occasionally found where we deployed CW in case it was needed for retaliation (if you use it, we will respond), most notably in Italy.

US CW projectiles from this period used a large hex nut with tapered threads as a fuze adapter/seal. When new, this adapter had a pull-tab seal of its own covering the internals.

Nice pieces.

Appreciation

Thank you guys. I wish you knew how much I appreciated the comments and information. Every time I have to get something ID'ed its humbling and I learn a little bit more.
I had a hard time connecting these with WWI,Ive never run into paint so well preserved on such and old item.Amazing it survived this long.
Now to hunt for the bursters and fuzes,lol.

And just so you guys know,every time I get something ID'ed like this,I print out the information and store it inside the item.

Last edited:
Good luck with that. Here is what you are looking for, they are pretty hard to find. It seems as though there was a good photo on a thread a while back, these are on a live, mustard filled projectile awaiting destruction so the condition is not so nice.

Attachments

• US 75mm H  5.jpg
    US 75mm H 5.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 75
  • US 75mm H  1.jpg
    US 75mm H 1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 67
Gordon,
I'll respond to your PM here, to throw the info out for everyone.

The question was; whether or not the munitions could be destroyed in a manner to save the adapters.

These adapters were used in different sizes on all US CW filled projos from 75mm to 240mm. This included smoke fills such as WP and FM/FS.

As the US never used the CW filled projectiles in anger, there are only a few of them found out and about in the field today, mostly with smoke fills.
Both the chemical and smoke fills smoke can be pretty corrosive however, so there is normally not much left after 50+ years in the field.

By treaty, all chemical weapons, including those from WWI and WWII, must be declared, verified and destroyed in a specific manner. This is the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC), which is monitored and enforced by the OPCW, where I and a few other BOCN personnel are employed.

In regard to field recoveries, how they are destroyed depends on the country involved. The CWC prohibits open detonation or burning, though allowances are made for certain extreme circumstances (not the recovery of collectable fuze adapters). Most countries that recover on a regular basis now use some sort of detonation chamber, to eliminate the need to disassemble the munition and reduce the hazard to personnel. Additives to the explosive can prolong the heat phase of the detonation, furthering the destruction of the chemical agent. The off-gases are then run through a furnace and scrubbers to decontaminate them. Typically, detonation chambers leave nothing other than small fragments of a munition the size of a 75mm.

In one country, however, a detonation furnace, or static kiln is used instead of a detonation chamber (also referred to as a hot detonation chamber vs a cold detonation chamber). This is a large vessel heated to 500 degrees C. Items pass through airlocks and drop into the chamber, where they either burn out or detonate, depending on the explosive and other factors. They are then kept in the chamber for at least 12 hours. Once the chamber is full the scrap is dumped, shaken and vacuumed to remove contaminants (arsenic) and turned over to the smelter. Often this leaves bodies in much better condition, though the metal softens and one good detonation during that time deforms everything else nearby in the chamber. This site does not see any munitions with these adapters though, plus they have pretty tight regulations in regard to their scrap going directly to the smelter.

The end result is that these can be very difficult projectiles to find adapters for. Of the CW projectiles I have seen about 75% need one, including my 4.7-inch and 155mm.

Very nice Lou, I've never seen WW1 gas shells in such good condition, fantastic find!
Dave.