What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm High Explosive MK1 - MK4

DEADLINE222

What is the difference between the 75mm MK1 and the MK4?

Are they the "same" or two different projectiles? Mechanically or in terms of paint; how can you tell?

Looking at the MK 1 in "Service markings of ammunition and ammunition containers" ordnance pamphlet PDF found in the downloads section.

The MK 4 is found in TM 9-305 and downloadable here: http://carl.army.mil/wwIItms/

MK1 MK4.jpg

I picked up this 75mm HE projectile for $10.00 this past weekend. It has some sort of thing in the threads, which I think is a cap. The black thing clearly has some evidence of prior attachment to what is in the threads, but is now seperate.

Anyone know what it is?

75capcapcap.jpg

P1010002.jpgP1010001.jpg

Hello deadline222,

Here are two photographs showing the difference between the Mk i and Mk IV U.S. 75mm HE projectiles. The Mk IV was much more ballistically efficient with it's streamlined nose and boat-tail base. I can't tell you anything about the metal cap...

Best regards,

Randall

I just noticed that the threads of the above mentioned projectile are 39mm in diameter, while all of my other examples have 36mm threads.

Does anyone know why?