What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm Pak 40 / 76,2mm Pak 36(r) : Same case & same case length ?

kz11gr

Hello

Two different calibers and guns , two different shells.
My question :
The two cases where exactly the same with the same length ? (except the headstamp) .

thank you

The F-22 was a Soviet Divisional field gun produced in the mid-1930s and used through the war. Thousands were lost in the first months of the war and eventually replaced by the Model 1939 and the Zis-3 guns. This field gun was used by the Soviets till replaced by the F-22 M1939 and then the Zis-3 guns. The Soviets also used the F-22 as anti-tank guns. The Germans and their allies (Romania, Hungary) used the unmodified F-22 gun as field artillery (designated FK 296(r)) and as AT guns.

The Pak 36(r) is the German designation of the captured gun converted to an anti-tank gun by the Germans after capturing thousands of them in 1941. The Pak 36(r) was mounted also in the German Marder III PzJgr 38(t) and the Marder II SdKfz 132 tank destroyers.

In September 1941, the captured F-22 was adopted by the Wehrmacht under the designation 7,62 cm FK296 (r). Since a significant amount of 76,2-mm armor-piercing shells could not be captured, German enterprises began to produce PzGr armor-piercing shells. 39, which had better armor penetration than the Soviet UBR-354A. In November, the PzGr sub-caliber projectile was introduced into the ammunition. 40. With new anti-tank shots, the FK 296 (r) guns were used on the Eastern Front and in North Africa.

Thank you very much Ladislav, but i already know all this. If you read my question, il is only on the cartridge (case length , case dimension on the rim , headstamp...).
Only the differences between the pak 40 cartridge and the Pak 36 cartridge. )We all know that the shell are different in caliber and at the driving bands)

The 7,5cm Pak 40 and the 7,62cm Pak 36 used the same case and therefore to identify the 7,62cm shells the projectile had the white tip or white ring.
The WR 84 states the 7.5cm Pak 40 case of 716mm could be used.

PC

Attachments

• WR 7.62 cm Pak 36.jpg
    WR 7.62 cm Pak 36.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 17
Thank you

I have seen some informations here about the charge and case length

--

Môže byť?
If you're going to add an image that I made (without crediting me, but I digress), at least please put in the current image, not the one with the big "obsolete" stamp...

This is the proper image:

Attachments

• shells comparativ 2022_V5_1200.jpg
    shells comparativ 2022_V5_1200.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
If you're going to add an image that I made (without crediting me, but I digress), at least please put in the current image, not the one with the big "obsolete" stamp...

This is the proper image:
Hi wingsofwrath

I have a question about the 75mm Resita M1943.
There is a link between this munition and the 75mm Model 1938 (Switzerland) ?

Thank you

Ahoj wingsofwrath

Mám otázku ohľadom 75mm Resita M1943 .
Existuje spojenie medzi touto muníciou a 75 mm modelom 1938 (Švajčiarsko) ?

Ďakujem

75 x 561R Flab Kan 38 L49

Hi wingsofwrath

I have a question about the 75mm Resita M1943.
There is a link between this munition and the 75mm Model 1938 (Switzerland) ?

Thank you
That sent me on a bit of a rabbit hole, because I had no idea what ammunition the Flab.-Kan. Model 1938 (canon de DCA 38 Schneider-Creusot modèle 1938 de 75 mm) used, and it turns out that yes, apparently the Swiss might have adopted the ammunition from the Vickers Model 1931 even though the gun itself was French and in it's original configuration used an 75x518mmR case with an 86.8mm rim.

The Reșița DT-UDR 26 75mm anti-tank gun Model 1943, of course, also used the case from the Vickers gun which we were producing under licence since 1936 and was adopted into the Romanian army as "Tunul antiaerian Vickers-Reșița Model 1936/39".

So yeah, it looks like both guns used the same case (probably not the same projectiles though) although it also looks like it's an utter coincidence, because there doesn't seem to be any direct link that I can see.