What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm pre rifled projectile.

SG500

Premium Member
Has anyone any information on this one?
Its 75mm and pre rifled.
The projectile is steel and not lead coated.
Is it the correct fuze?
I've heard of the American experiments with pre rifled 37mm projectiles but not 75mm.
Dave.

Attachments

• 31 May 09 010.jpg
    31 May 09 010.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 31 May 09 011.JPG
    31 May 09 011.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 152
Dave,

The U.S. 57mm, 75mm, 105mm and 106mm Recoiless rifle ammo has pre rifled rotating bands on all of the projectiles, but I have never seen anything that even comes close to resembling the projo you pictured. The fuze design looks WWI. it could have been an experiment between WWI and WWII.

It is a hell of a find, but good luck identifying it.

John

Hi
Projectile of 75 mm which we name as "Charbonnier" of the name of the originator?
One finds it on our sand coasts charged with sand and plug and sometimes charged in melinite with 24/31 fuze on HE gaine
Seem to be Experimental shell under test enters the two wars
I think there are three types lenght of this 75mm

Attachments

• 75 french.jpg
    75 french.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 154
THANKS, Sorry for the delayed response on this guys, I've only just found the reply!! This just shows how great the forum is, I send in a photo of something nobody has a clue about and up pops the answer. Thanks Doctor!!

Dave.

Just bumping this thread - does anyone know what the case looks like for this particular projectile?
Dave.

Has anyone any information on this one?
Its 75mm and pre rifled.
The projectile is steel and not lead coated.
Is it the correct fuze?
I've heard of the American experiments with pre rifled 37mm projectiles but not 75mm.
Dave.
HI,
the correct french name is 75 MM OR for Obus Raye which means that the body of the cylindical portion is rifled so as to match with the riffling of the french 75 mm M 1897 field gun.
The drawing of the shell was finished in end december 1917 and approved by Colonel Charbonnier.
This Shell seem to have been made for experimental very high muzzle speed and long range firing; the fuse could have been any of the french standard 24/31 thread system but an instantaneous fuse should have been more effective as was the RYG model 1918. a wind shield was provided to low the air drag and to improve the shell flight.
I think that those shells were tried between the two WW; the case should have been the standard M 1897 type 3 but loaded with a double base powder to improve the power and therefore the speed.
Those shells were coated with cooper spreaded all over to help gliding in the bore of the gun...i think that the air pressure in the recuperator had been encreased by a heavy ratio !
Not much is known about those shells and they were experimental try out to improve the shell shape of long range HE as the well known 1917 model.
I can provide the drawing of one of those shells.
CKOALA

HI,
the correct french name is 75 MM OR for Obus Raye which means that the body of the cylindical portion is rifled so as to match with the riffling of the french 75 mm M 1897 field gun.
The drawing of the shell was finished in end december 1917 and approved by Colonel Charbonnier.
This Shell seem to have been made for experimental very high muzzle speed and long range firing; the fuse could have been any of the french standard 24/31 thread system but an instantaneous fuse should have been more effective as was the RYG model 1918. a wind shield was provided to low the air drag and to improve the shell flight.
I think that those shells were tried between the two WW; the case should have been the standard M 1897 type 3 but loaded with a double base powder to improve the power and therefore the speed.
Those shells were coated with cooper spreaded all over to help gliding in the bore of the gun...i think that the air pressure in the recuperator had been encreased by a heavy ratio !
Not much is known about those shells and they were experimental try out to improve the shell shape of long range HE as the well known 1917 model.
I can provide the drawing of one of those shells.
CKOALA

Thanks CKOALA, that's great information. Would you be able to post the drawing of the shell on BOCN please?
Dave.

Thanks CKOALA, that's great information. Would you be able to post the drawing of the shell on BOCN please?
Dave.
Hi Dave !
sorry, as a beginner, I have to learn how is working my computer and I fear that without the help of some expert, it will not be possible to send this drawing which is rather large ...
I have to find out the location of this drawing in my huge amount of information on artilleries but with a few hours this would be done...
Perhaps we can find out some other mean to send this.
Hope for the best.
ckoala.

Just a remark ;

this configuration of pre rifled shell exists also in caliber 37mm .

certainly same period.

====================================================

Dave.
Hi, me again...

I have found the drawings of this OR shell and I have discovered that two lengts of shell were tried but also with 3 different angles of riffling...
Therefore, we are sure that it was experimental shells and so we cannot say what was the case used as we had in service in 1917 two 75 mm guns; one was the famous 75 M 1897 and the other was a french navy 75 mm M 1906 which was far more powerfull...
The main drawing is dated 27 novembre 1917 but extensions and wind shields were from 1 decembre 1917 and a new design of grooves was aproved on 21 decembre 1917. This means that the firing try out was is full experimentation.
One feature to understand is that the shell required to be pushed slowly in the bore so as to ,put the studs into the grooves before firing unless some bad trick would occur...BANG !
I think that purpose made riffled guns were made with various riffling angles. They wrote on one drawing 9 , 12 and 15 degres...
That all for now !
any more question ?
CKOALA

Charbonnier

Hi
all the Charbonnier shells i've found where fitted with plug for experimantal trials and with 24/31 Mle 15 (not RYG18) with HE shell

Hi
all the Charbonnier shells i've found where fitted with plug for experimantal trials and with 24/31 Mle 15 (not RYG18) with HE shell

Thank you, it's interesting.

Have you found only 75mm shells, or other calibers ?

==