What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm shell casing art

davwaldrup

Hi -- I came across a 75mm shell casing that I would appreciate some help with. The markings on the bottom of the shell are quite clear in the attached picture. It reads 75 DE C, then H733L 18 H. The "L" appears to have been stamped differently than the other markings.

The shell itself reads "GUERRE", and below that is 1914 15/16/17 1918. I would be most grateful for any info you could share with me. Thanks. David

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 10
Good afternoon David and welcome.
I can start to offer some information, the shell case you have is French and was made for the French 75mm field gun; often referred to as the French 75. Your case was made in 1918 and was part of a lot/batch of cartridges cases identified as 733. I cannot remember what DEC stands for but I am sure a French contributor will remind me! The H identifies the maker of the case, again one of our French team may be able to identify the factory. Hope this helps!

I believe 75 DE C stands for "75mm De Campagne", which was indicates that the cartridge was for a 75mm field gun.

Apologies to the French members if this is incorrect.

If I remember my schoolboy French DEC stands for De Champ which is French for of the field ? Perhaps one of our French members could confirm this as Falcon has said .

Afternoon David
One possible would be Trefileries et Laminoires du Havre a Gravite, this factory used the H on their cartridge cases.