What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75x278R unknown factory

Alpini

Premium Member
anyone knows which manufacturer produced this 75x278R case? I guess it is from Belgium as the "Rb" shows up on other belgian cases. What does it mean?

Attachments

• 75x278R GC.jpg
    75x278R GC.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 106
This marking was used by the Gramophone Company (Later EMI) in Hayes, Middlesex UK. The symbol in the middle is an LP record and stylus. This factory was located a few miles away from where I live.

Big thanks for your help! Now I also recogize the symbol :) I guess it was made for export as I don't know of a british gun in this calibre and no british military markings are there.

Odd! I always thought that the Gramophone Company was one of those firms that was pressed into armament work during the 1st World War only, (and then only to produce items for Britain) rather than being an ordnance manufacturer in their own right, such as Elswicks, Kynoch, or Kings Norton.

What would be the date of this case? And can anyone give some history of the ammunition production of this company, please?

Roger.

...it's a good question, but there are no other markings on the case than visible on the photo. I guess it was produced before war or during war. I have a belgian 1918 A.F.M. case in same calibre with the same "RB" stamp.

Last edited:
I found one of these cases made by the Gramophone Company at the car boot sale this morning. The only other marking is the "RB" mark. However, the primer is definitely Belgian as it is marked "AFM".