What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

76mm Fuze Info Needed

Darren

Pictured below is the fuze that i am looking for info on, i believe it is a PD fuze for the 76mm Oto Melara Navel Shell? Please correct me if im wrong.

Stampings are: OP 76 mod.1 2-FBO-80

I am looking for diagrams of the internals, mainly the clockwork delay mechanism (in the last photo), also any other general info about this fuze.

Darren

Attachments

• 011 (808 x 1077).jpg
    011 (808 x 1077).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 012 (1077 x 808).jpg
    012 (1077 x 808).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 013 (1077 x 808).jpg
    013 (1077 x 808).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 014 (1077 x 808).jpg
    014 (1077 x 808).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 015 (1077 x 808).jpg
    015 (1077 x 808).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Not sure to be honest, I will have to post a picture of the fuze that I have for a positive ID. Will post tomorrow when I'm back on my main computer. I believe that the fuze I have is for the 76mm Oto Melara Navel Round but wanted info just to make sure.

Darren

Last edited:
Hello

In the worldfuze fuze identification, page 166, there is the OP76 Mod 1.

But nothing about the mechanism.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 38
Hello

In the worldfuze fuze identification, page 166, there is the OP76 Mod 1.

But nothing about the mechanism.

Thanks for the info Pascal, that is a little more info about it that I didn't know so that's great. I've searched the Internet high and low but there doesn't seem to be any info out there at all about these fuzes.

Darren

Sorry, I made a mistake.

The title is : "worldwide fuze identification", I'm sure you'll can found download it easily on the web.

Sorry, I made a mistake.

The title is : "worldwide fuze identification", I'm sure you'll can found download it easily on the web.

Great info book on all fuzes in general, will be keeping that one for reference. Doesnt give much detail at all about this 76mm fuze though and have been unable to find out any other info at all. There seems to be no mention of this type of fuze on the internet as ive searched high and low. Bit of a mystery!

Darren

There were a number of countries that used the 76.2mm Oto Malera gun. In use with the U.S. Navy, it was a fully automatic machine. Since the barrel would be blocked to prevent seawater from entering during the normal tour of duty, the first few rounds to be fired were inert loaded with dummy fuzes to clear the muzzle seal. The rounds to follow were either PD or proximity fuzed.

Last edited:
There were a number of countries that used the 76.2mm Oto Malera gun. In use with the U.S. Navy, it was a fully automatic machine. Since the barrel would be blocked to prevent seawater from entering during the normal tour of duty, the first few rounds to be fired were inert loaded with dummy fuzes to clear the muzzle seal. The rounds to follow were either PD or proximity fuzed.

Thanks for the info Hazord.

Darren

Our Navy uses the same gun (Dutch navy), just happen to be a part of that navy, could ask the weapon-engineers if they know anything? I ain't promissing anything, might still be "NATO Confidential" so then i can't post it here.....

Our Navy uses the same gun (Dutch navy), just happen to be a part of that navy, could ask the weapon-engineers if they know anything? I ain't promissing anything, might still be "NATO Confidential" so then i can't post it here.....

Hi Juttertje, yes that would be a great if you could obtain any more info on these fuzes.

Darren

Darren,

Everything that you have received on the fuze so far is correct as to manufacturer, etc. It is the OP 76 Mod 1 version of the point detonating fuze used on the 76/62mm Oto Melara naval gun system. I am the one who wrote/published the Worldwide Fuze ID Guide, but do not have all of the original support documents anymore. I have attached an illustration from a Borletti manual that shows the interior and the escapement mechanism. Hopefully it will answer some of your questions.

Attachments

• OP 76 fuze.jpg
    OP 76 fuze.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 27
Darren,

Everything that you have received on the fuze so far is correct as to manufacturer, etc. It is the OP 76 Mod 1 version of the point detonating fuze used on the 76/62mm Oto Melara naval gun system. I am the one who wrote/published the Worldwide Fuze ID Guide, but do not have all of the original support documents anymore. I have attached an illustration from a Borletti manual that shows the interior and the escapement mechanism. Hopefully it will answer some of your questions.

Thanks EODGUY, that's a great help and thank you for the diagram.

Darren