What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

76mm propellant query

exat808

Ordnance approved
I am trying to establish the correct designation of the propellant that was used in the British 76mm Armoured Car system, and specifically that which was used for the HESH projectile in the latter part of the systems service life. Thank you in advance.

All the info I have is from 1979, and not for the later versions. The L29A1 used NQ/M and was obsolescent. The L29A2 used FNH and was obsolete. I have no info for the L29A3 (at least obsolescent by 1979), L29A5 and L29A6. I can only assume that the L29A4 was already obsolete or was not proceeded with, as my notes say there were only five model numbers at that time.

Janes handbook 1995 gives the following, L29 HESH propellant 610g of NQ/M 07 triple based propellant.

Janes handbook 1995 gives the following, L29 HESH propellant 610g of NQ/M 07 triple based propellant.

Thank you (and to AMMOTECHXT). I had assumed it was NQ/M but just needed some clarification. I have recently acquired a quantity of this propellant for disposal and wanted the extra detail to add to the packaging label.