What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.0cm Zug Flak L/45 Brass Cartridge - Made by FN

merlin_industries

Can anyone advise if the manufacturer mark FN in a circle for Fritz Neumeyer were used by Fritz Neumeyer exclusively for German ordnance ? See attached pics of an 8.0cm we just received with the FN marks.
I have seen a few brass cartridges recently with FN in a circle listed as "Belgian" presumably they were mistaken into thinking FN was Fabrique Nationale ?

DSCF7566.jpgDSCF7569.jpgDSCF7570.jpgDSCF7567.jpgDSCF7568.jpg

Yes your case is made by "Fritz Neumeyer" in Nrnberg. The spelling on the westernfront website is a little bit wrong, your spelling is the right one. FN on german WW1 cases is always Fritz Neumeyer (early 77 mm cases had the stamp "Neumeyer Nrnberg" if I remember right). Fritz Neymeyer produced also for other countries like Austro-Hungaria and other axis powers.

I am also not sure if the Belgian FN (Farique National) produced artillery cases before 1919. I only know belgian FN artillery cases from after 1919, for example 75x278R for Krupp-Cockerill guns. Before the war maybe they did only small arms ammunition and weapons?

Last edited:
Thanks Alpini. I think sometimes folks see FN and automatically assume its Belgian (Fabrique Nationale) without realising FN is also German.