What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.8cm German U Boat Deck gun rounds?

hicky1300

Hi All
Picked up two complete rounds today & need a bit of help.
Unfortunately unable to upload pics at present due to tech issues!!
Both have case lengths of 388mm & projectile diameters of 88mm
Headstamp on one is III at 12 with a circle with a dot in it next to this. VII at 9. 1902 at 3. 148 (lot no?) at 6. The giveaway for naval to me is an M with a crown above.
Primer marked C/12 (1912?)
Projectile has single wide copper band. It is stamped: 1134 (lot no?) with M & crown next to it. Kr. below. Then VII 05 (MK & 1905?) below. Then 148 & 13 below. Several other fancy stamps I cannot make out.
Fuze is brass marked Dopp Z C/04 (1904?) with M & crown agian.
The other has a more interesting headstamp & I think it has been reloaded?
Around the primer is VII at 9. 97 (1897?) at 3. 24 at 6.
Around the upper edge ( 12 to 3) is III. a circle with a dot in then X another circle with dot then 17. then a circle with a line through (like diameter symbol on tech drawing) then 18 then another circle with dot then X Reloaded in 1917 & 18?
Primer has 1,3 on it.
Projectile looks like a gas or shrapnel one? Steel with 3713 below fuze. Kr. below & III 17 below (MKIII 1917?) has copper stepped (3) band. Cannot find an M etc.
Fuze is aluminium & stamped Lg. Zdr S/12 with M & crown with 14 below then anoth M & crown with 16 below the M.
Cheers

Looks like you find two rare 8,8 cm Deckgun rounds for the L/35 gun. Kr is Krupp the manufacturer of the round. III 17 is the KM way for dating, 3th month of 1917. 3713 will be the serial/batchnumber. the circle and dot, sometimes with a year is to mark it as reloaded.

Lg. zdr stands for leucht zunder, a fuse for the light(star) shell. S/12 stands for 12 seconds delay maximum after firing the shell.
the other fuse dpl Z C/04 is time/percussion, model 1904. Have to dig further for more info. Do you have lengths of the projectiles? or pictures?

Thanks for that thekees.
Hope to post pics later.
Shape of second projectile makes sense now!!
Must have burnt for ages as it is a lot bigger than the HE one

Hi All

Fuze is aluminium & stamped Lg. Zdr S/12 with M & crown with 14 below then anoth M & crown with 16 below the M.

Cheers

Hicky, are you sure that the fuze designation is not S/22 rather than S/12? As Kees has said, it is for the star shell and I don't believe there is a 12 second fuze.

BR

D

IMG_0711.jpgIMG_0711.jpgIMG_0712.jpg Sorry still having tech issues with this piece of HP shite!!IMG_0716.jpgIMG_0716.jpgFirst shell I described is on the left second on right. Last pic is the Illum projectile?
Thanks to thekees for help. apparently these rounds were not just on U Boats but the L/35 was land & surface vessel based as well.I have pics of headstamps etc but as having tech issues I am losing the will to live!!!

BD I will check fuze again - but sure I had it right first time
These are not normally my thing but had a bit of knowledge with a gut feeling about them!
Unfortunately the fuze on the illum one is a bit corroded with a piece missingvand being ally in steel it will never come out without damaging it.
Not a lot of online info about this caliber/gun & must look into Kees L2.8 thing

Hicky, the shorter shell is a 8.8cm Schr L/2.7 Shrapnel projectile and should measure 23.77cm top to bottom. It's a one of the less common of the 8.8cm naval shells.

D

Thanks BD
I have not been able to remove proj from case - & I think I will leave it so!?
Thought it would be HE - being so short so intriugued it is Shrapnel.
Will do a bit of homework

Sorry for the quality of the picture document, it's the best I have at the moment.

D

Attachments

• DSCN6273.jpg
    DSCN6273.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 98
Hi hicky, maybe this helps or is it to late?
Regards William

Attachments

• 8,8 cm Schrapnell L 2,7.JPG
    8,8 cm Schrapnell L 2,7.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 32