What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.8cm question

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Can anyone explain the paint to me? It appears to be original, but what does the bare forward half signify? In addition, I have two other 88s with MT fuzes. While this fuze fits easily in and out of its projectile, neither of the MT fuzes will thread in. Looks the same by eyeball, but acts as though it is a different pitch.

Attachments

• 8.8cm.jpg
    8.8cm.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 79
The shell is definitely Finnish, since I have seen shells exactly like it and with the same style of markings, but I can't tell you why they decided to only paint half of it.

Attachments

• 8.8CM-U-boat-shells.jpg
    8.8CM-U-boat-shells.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 37
Not sure about the Finnish re-use (I know different specific markings for finnish 8.8). Norway also used german shells after ww2 and maybe other countries.
I'm very interested by this question because I have a 10.5cm L/4.4 with same paint and markings.

10 1.jpg10 2.jpg10 3.jpg

10.5cm with unpainted head on this picture (Norway ?) : http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_41-45_skc32.php

WNGER_41-45_skc32_unpacking_pic.jpgCapture d'écran 2024-05-01 230707.png

Last edited:
It's the usual German 2nd WW naval paint scheme. Also the ink stamps are of German origin. Finish ink stamps are much different.

hlu = powder factory "Gesellschaft zur Verwertung chemischer Erzeugnisse m.b.H, Werk Hessisch - Lichtenau"
ktz = powder factory "Deutsche Sprengchemie, Werk Klietz (later it became a WASAG factory)"

Attachments

• 8,8 cm Spgr Patr 30 L-4,5 Lh 31.jpg
    8,8 cm Spgr Patr 30 L-4,5 Lh 31.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
It's the usual German 2nd WW naval paint scheme. Also the ink stamps are of German origin. Finish ink stamps are much different.

hlu = powder factory "Gesellschaft zur Verwertung chemischer Erzeugnisse m.b.H, Werk Hessisch - Lichtenau"
ktz = powder factory "Deutsche Sprengchemie, Werk Klietz (later it became a WASAG factory)"
For U boat ??

Unpainted upper parts of the shell body are found with German naval 8,8 cm and 10,5 cm HE and practice shells. The manual M.Dv 170/16 gives the reason why and that was to prevent the time setting machines getting polluted by paint particles. I suspect that it was done because for these calibers the German navy used time setting machines in which the cartridges were inserted horizontally, thus scraping off paint from the ogive.

Early shells were painted overall. The manual M.Dv 188/II-2 gives an unpainted (=farbfrei) upper part of 160 mm for the 8,8 cm shell bodies and 142 mm for the 10,5 cm shell bodies .

Attachments

• 8,8 cm Spgr L 4,5.jpg
    8,8 cm Spgr L 4,5.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 44
  • Seite06.jpg
    Seite06.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 10,5 cm SK C-32 int.jpg
    10,5 cm SK C-32 int.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Bl 15.JPG
    Bl 15.JPG
    701.5 KB · Views: 46
Unpainted upper parts of the shell body are found with German naval 8,8 cm and 10,5 cm HE and practice shells. The manual M.Dv 170/16 gives the reason why and that was to prevent the time setting machines getting polluted by paint particles. I suspect that it was done because for these calibers the German navy used time setting machines in which the cartridges were inserted horizontally, thus scraping off paint from the ogive.

Early shells were painted overall. The manual M.Dv 188/II-2 gives an unpainted (=farbfrei) upper part of 160 mm for the 8,8 cm shell bodies and 142 mm for the 10,5 cm shell bodies .
Thank you all for this info. What a fabulous site this is....brilliant

For any gun. There was only one paint scheme
Interesting, I know little about naval matters so I thought that shell was Finnish because that what was told to me and it was on a Finnish Flak 88 casing. Turns out I was misinformed. Thanks for sorting this out.