What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8 inch extended range ammunition for m110e2 howitzer

Tround,

Thanks for posting the hyperlink for the file. Two of our members have examples of the projectiles. I have heard that they were fired in Vietnam by the Navy, so this report is new information.

On this Navy Weapons sight, under 8 inch:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_8-55_mk12-15.htm

Is the following statement:

" In the late 1960s the "Gunfighter" program at Indian Head Naval Ordnance
Station developed Long Range Bombardment Ammunition (LRBA) projectiles. These
were Arrow Shells with a body diameter of 4.125" (10.4 cm) and a fin diameter of
5.0" (12.7 cm) which were sized to be fired from 8" (20.3 cm) guns by using a
sabot and obturator system. Tests with these in 1968 showed maximum ranges of
72,000 yards (66,000 m). The burster in these shells was PBX-w-106, a castable
explosive. Sabot weighed 17.6 lbs. (8.0 kg) and was discarded as the projectile
left the muzzle. After a test firing off Okinawa of three inert-loaded shells,
USS St. Paul (CA-73) in 1970 conducted a two day bombardment mission against
Viet Cong positions at ranges up to 70,000 yards (64,000 m). At the time, St.
Paul was the only 8" gunned cruiser still in active service."

The Navy also fired saboted projectiles in the 16 inch rifles under the "Gunfighter Program". Photos are available of the 16 inch gunfighter projos, but no configuration for the 8 inch projo has ever been seen for the Navy. Until seeing the report you posted, we didn't know of the army program, and if they were using the Navy projectile.

Last edited:
hello

Think you Hazord for the informations .

I think they are not the same shells although they are similar .
LRBA is a high explosive shell whereas the 8inch ER is a cargo shell who contains DPICM (for the planned version) . their weight and their diameter are also different:
On the link , the LRBA weight 118.8 ib logically with the sabot. the 8 inch ER (the test vehicle) weight 136.44 ib with the sabot and 123.15 without (sabot weight : 13.292 ib) and his body diameter is 139mm.

Of course their ranges are different , during the trials , the test vehicle reach a maximum range of 45229M with a muzzle velocity of 994Ms. Very good performance for an howitzer!

Regards

Tround,

I know the Navy version was High Explosive, per the listing on the NAVWEPS site. I also know that the test data you posted came from Yuma Proving Grounds, and I my projectiles came from there. The 16 inch LRBA was tested at Yuma because they had a working 16 inch gun at that time, so I know that the Army and Navy come together and test at the same area.

The Navy 8 inch rifle is known to have much more power than the Army Howitzer. They are designed for broadside firing of armor piercing high explosive projectiles which weigh approximately 350 pounds whereas the howitzer projectiles weigh in at around 208 pounds. The Navy gun woud be expected to achieve a longer range. The WWII 8 inch army gun, which fired Navy projectiles could fire a 240 pound high explosive shell to 20 miles (35,000 yd.).

Last edited:
I know I'm a bit late joining in, but here is a photo of mine. I've only seen one other, showed up in Pecos, Texas. A Texas Ranger was driving through town and saw two kids beating on this enormous bullet with hammers. He decided that caution was the course to follow and after taking it from them he called us to come get it. A little worse for wear, but still not too bad. This one is in better shape.

DSCN4576.jpgDSCN4577.jpg