What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.8 Vickers

SG500

Premium Member
This one has me puzzled, all the information I can find on it is described in Peter Labbetts excellent book "British Small Arms Ammunition 1864-1938" which states that although manufactured in Britain it was possibly intended for customers overseas and that it is described on ICI Ltd. drawing BK 101/60, dated June 1930 as for a .8 inch (20.3mm) automatic Gun.

The case is 124.7mm long with a rim diameter of 30.5mm. It is semi-rimless.

Does anyone have any further information on this round. Variations on projectiles. Type of gun. etc. etc.

All inert/primer oiled etc.

Dave.

Attachments

• Vickers .8.JPG
    Vickers .8.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Vickers .8 headstamp.JPG
    Vickers .8 headstamp.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Vickers .8 projectile stampings.JPG
    Vickers .8 projectile stampings.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 72
Where do you find these things???

That is a really nice round, and in excellent condition fot its age. Most cases have usually been dented, polished and otherwise damaged.

All over the place Falcon, I made a decision when I first started collecting 20 years ago only too go for the experimental or unusual rounds, in the hope that it would keep the collection down to a reasonable size........silly me, I hadn't bargained for the fact that for every service round there are loads of experimental varieties........so now I've ended up with boxes of the stuff. I guess half the battle is recognising it in the first place.
Its all good fun though!!
Dave.

I have a note from the Ordnance Committee Minutes (25/11/31) concerning some correspondence in 1930 with Vickers-Armstrong over their 0.8 inch gun.

It is said to be almost identical to the Elswick gun although it fires a slightly smaller cartridge. Projectile weight is 0.2833 lb and MV 2,900 fps (128 g at 884 m/s in new money), either API or HE, with a chamber pressure of 20 tons. The gun is said to use the Colt long-recoil system with a cross strip feed (5 or 10 rounds), similar to the Elswick. A hopper feed was being tested. The gun weighs 152 lb (air-cooled) or 168 lb (water cooled) and fires at c.120 rpm.

A field carriage had not been devised at that time, but drawings had been prepared for HA tripod and cone mountings. AA and anti-tank applications were both being considered.

All over the place Falcon, I made a decision when I first started collecting 20 years ago only too go for the experimental or unusual rounds, in the hope that it would keep the collection down to a reasonable size........silly me, I hadn't bargained for the fact that for every service round there are loads of experimental varieties........so now I've ended up with boxes of the stuff. I guess half the battle is recognising it in the first place.
Its all good fun though!!
Dave.
If there is anything you have duplicates of and want to sell, I would be very interested, even the very common stuff.

Thanks for the additional info Tony, the case is quite a lot smaller than the Elswick.
Dave.

I have a note from the Ordnance Committee Minutes (25/11/31) concerning some correspondence in 1930 with Vickers-Armstrong over their 0.8 inch gun.

It is said to be almost identical to the Elswick gun although it fires a slightly smaller cartridge. Projectile weight is 0.2833 lb and MV 2,900 fps (128 g at 884 m/s in new money), either API or HE, with a chamber pressure of 20 tons. The gun is said to use the Colt long-recoil system with a cross strip feed (5 or 10 rounds), similar to the Elswick. A hopper feed was being tested. The gun weighs 152 lb (air-cooled) or 168 lb (water cooled) and fires at c.120 rpm.

A field carriage had not been devised at that time, but drawings had been prepared for HA tripod and cone mountings. AA and anti-tank applications were both being considered.

Attachments

• Elswick .8.JPG
    Elswick .8.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 69
Elswick .8 headstamp

Hi, Falcon, the headstamp is:

RL
B
DDL3468

Its not got a primer in it so can't give you details on that.

Dave