What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

81mm drill round?

Darrol

Premium Member
ive had this a few years and have wondered why ive only seen drill rounds with rings cut into the body but none like this .its filled with a claylike red wax .any ideas? thanks. darrol.

Attachments

• DSC04939.jpg
    DSC04939.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC04940.jpg
    DSC04940.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC04944.jpg
    DSC04944.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC04945.jpg
    DSC04945.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
81mm Mor Prac/Drill

Yes it is indeed an early 81mm Mortar Practice perhaps Drill version.
It is an early model as the later bomb bodies are all one piece with no "adaptor" just the fuze threaded straight into the top of the body.
The Red wax is the early inert filling for such items and is correct.
Nice item and I do not think all that common.

Last edited:
Darrol, That cut is for the obterating band, now usually a nylon ring that is split and when the round is fired, it expands to fit the bore better. Regards, Bruce.

Obturation ring

Here is apicture of an 81 mm HE Bomb with the "Obturating" ring in place, made of a brittle plastic which usually breaks into two or three pieces on exiting the tube and seals the bore on firing as bacarnal states.

Attachments

• 81mm MOR HE OB ring.jpg
    81mm MOR HE OB ring.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
thanks chris . havent found a pic for refrence so you are very helpful.:tinysmile_hmm_t: hi bruce thank you for youre comment .i was asking about the ribbed rings ive seen on other drill/practice rounds for i d i think :bigsmile:

I KNEW I spelled it wrong. And the spell check was NO help at all!!:tinysmile_cry_t: (Thanks Chris for straightening that out!!)

Say it as you see it!

I KNEW I spelled it wrong. And the spell check was NO help at all!!:tinysmile_cry_t: (Thanks Chris for straightening that out!!)

You guys say and spell things as you see them and the "obturating" ring (assuming I have spelt it correctly of course) is not very likely to appear in most dictionaries for spelling correction.

Always nice to have a different "take" on spellings.

I sometimes worked with 81 mm HE bombs and remember that the obturating ring was a plastic-like material known as Makralon. The ring was designed with a diagonal cut and was flexible, so that propulsive gases could open it slightly to match the bore of the tube.

rings

i was refering to the rings sometimes seen on blue practice rounds not the obturating ring .they are normaly seen near the fuse end . .was they for id? . .and the one in the photos is that a drill round ? .if so what colour should it be.thanks again .regards darrol:fight:

Practice-recovery round

Darrol to try and set the records straight here is a picture of a PRACTICE round that is actually fired then recovered and refurbished and again fired, the main difference here are the tail fin assembly is made of cast Iron and is very robust.

I believe that in the early days of the 81mm Mortar practice rounds were not available specifically and these were made up from HE bodies straight off the production line and fitted with a special adaptor/Fuze combination that you have.

So yours if I have my information correct is an early Drill round and as such would not be fireable so is therefore purely for DRILL purposes.

Attachments

• 81mm Mor Prac.JPG
    81mm Mor Prac.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
hi and thanks chris .the one i have is 70s dated with an alloy tail piece with dummy primer.the tail piece has never had paint on it. thanks again .

Hard Anodised Fin set.

hi and thanks chris .the one i have is 70s dated with an alloy tail piece with dummy primer.the tail piece has never had paint on it. thanks again .

Darrol the tail pieces are (excepting the refireable Practice) finished with the treatment Hard Anodising which leaves it with that slightly mottled look, they are not painted as potentially the paint could burn and affect the pressures in the tube thus affecting accuracy.

ive put a couple more pics up .the tail unit is 1980 but the body and adapter are dated 1971.

Last edited: