What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

81mm parashute & Labels

navyman

Hello all,
I'm presently restoring an 81mm illuminating mortar round. I have all the internals but whichever way I try replacing the parachute in it's bag it's defeated me, can anyone let me into the mysterious secret method? Also I don't know how to reproduce the lettering on the outside of the case.
I would appreciate any help with these problems.
Hope you all had a good Christmas and new year,
Best regards,
navyman.

Attachments

• 81 mortar  3 stencil.jpg
    81 mortar 3 stencil.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 26
Hi Navyman,just a suggestion,would "Lettraset"reproduce the lettering,they are a bit fiddly to place but once done they look fine,they are available in various sizes but not sure if they would match the exact size you need,another idea is pad printing,hope this helps,
Regards,
Don,

navyman, In a post given by ordman several months back were the ordnance drawings books for the Savanna Ordnance Depot. I can't remember which one had it in it, but one of the books had an in depth drawing on how to fold illumination parachutes. If you do a search for savanna, it brings you to where he posted the books and you can go through them until you find what you need, after you get way laid by all of the other drawings. Fantastic stuff there. Cheers, Bruce.

Hello, and thank you both for your help. I will have a look at the drawings and try lettraset also.
Thanks again,
navyman.

Hi Guy, yes you will find it very hard to get the chute in i have been trying for months with no luck i think they would have been compressed into the bag, as for the letters i would use a marker pen and a stencil.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1040602.jpg
    P1040602.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 31
As far as downloading the Savanna drawings, the last time I tried to download them, their time limit on the download site had expired.

Hi Guy, yes you will find it very hard to get the chute in i have been trying for months with no luck i think they would have been compressed into the bag, as for the letters i would use a marker pen and a stencil.
Cheers
Andy

I agree with Andy about the marker pen and stencil,they have a look of being done that way originally.
And I have just noticed something quiet mad!,both Guy's and Andy's mortars have the same batch code!(SIL 03-09081B),talk about a small world:bigsmile:

Cheers
Tony

Last edited:
After searching and much work to make this happen form a computer illiterate, I hope this works. This is a parachute from the M48 Trip Flare. Though pretty much a 60mm chute, it should fold the same as the 81mm chute. Cheers, y'all, Bruce.

Attachments

• BOCN2.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 20
Hello again Andy, Tony, and others,
Unfortunately since my leg amputation I can't get out at the moment unless someone pushes my wheelchair. Do you know of any way I can get stencils by post, or will I have to try making them?
Andy, what a terrific cutaway you have made, How long did it take you to make it? Also, do you know if I can get any tools to dismantle the fuze on mine ?
Best regards,
Guy.

Hi Guy, PM me with your address and will send you my stencil and when you have finished pop it back in the post that will save you going out. Thanks for that the cutaway took me the best part of a day to do and was very pleased with the way it turned out, and as for the fuze i have never been able to remove one without buggering it up, the only way is to cut the body to get it out but thats no good unless you have two of them and then make one good one out of two if you get what i mean.
this is one i done with the stencil (see pic)
Regards
Andy

Attachments

• P1030843.jpg
    P1030843.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited: