What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

88 shell

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi Just finished painting this 88 projectile that's for the 88x822 case and was wondering if anybody knows what the correct stencilling would be please.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• 88 Projectile.jpg
    88 Projectile.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 80
You can buy the correct stencils for the case a well as the projectile.

I am sure if you email him he will get some more in. I will have another look, not sure if it was him or someone else who done these stencils, i have used the 60mm mortar ones and they were excellent, no doubt the 88mm ones will be worth the weight.

I am sure if you email him he will get some more in. I will have another look, not sure if it was him or someone else who done these stencils, i have used the 60mm mortar ones and they were excellent, no doubt the 88mm ones will be worth the weight.

I normally use axholmesigns.co.uk as they will make you anything you want, so just wanted the correct letters

You're welcome. Your fuze being a AZ 23/28 (Pr) should be painted in the standard green color of German ammo (matching RAL 6006). These KwK 43 HE shell bodies can be encountered in green or yellow paint.
Back in the days when I was collecting German ammo I made a scheme of the lettering on the basis of a recovered HE shell for restoration purposes, which might help you.
Below some images of shells from my former collection.

Attachments

• 13 Ng 44.jpg
    13 Ng 44.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 1x 8,8 cm Sprgr.JPG
    1x 8,8 cm Sprgr.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC01487.jpg
    DSC01487.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC01128-1.jpg
    DSC01128-1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC01131-1.jpg
    DSC01131-1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC01130-1.jpg
    DSC01130-1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 33
You're welcome. Your fuze being a AZ 23/28 (Pr) should be painted in the standard green color of German ammo (matching RAL 6006). These KwK 43 HE shell bodies can be encountered in green or yellow paint.
Back in the days when I was collecting German ammo I made a scheme of the lettering on the basis of a recovered HE shell for restoration purposes, which might help you.
Below some images of shells from my former collection.

That is brilliant greif and many thanks for taken the time to post this, I will get the stencil ordered.
Cheers
Andy

That shell is also used with the Flak 41, so the yellow coloration is also correct.
Here are two pages from a Soviet manual on captured ammunition:

1057571.jpg1057577.jpg

And the relevant pages from the FLAK 41 manual:

Zeichn_01.jpg Zeichn_05.jpg

Personally, I've always preferred to look at original examples rather than the manual for my markings, because the manual is always an "idealized" version.
Unfortunately, unlike Grief, I don't have pictures of the Flak 41 Sp.gr., so here are these nice examples of the Sp.Gr.Kurz for the Flak 18/36/37 that also give a good impression of the fonts and styles used:

6f6a98_a41e248703564206a26005cdffe4ecdf~mv2_d_2925_3899_s_4_2_result.jpg 22452973.jpg 10054479.jpg 26400921_2482.jpg

Finally, one more thing - on German shells, the part below the rotating bands that sits inside the cartridge case is always painted for sealing purposes with "Asphaltlack", a type of bitumen-based varnish. The best replacement I've found for it is "Bruno per oro" by an Italian firm called "Maimeri", a product designed to give patina to gold leaf.

Last edited:
The projectiel with the wide drivingbands is used on the KwK 43 shellcase only.
The projectile with the narrow drivingbands and the boat tail is used on the flak 41 shellcase and can be used on the Kwk43 shellcase as well. In fact, the Kwk 43 uses the narrow drivingband type shell for the first 500 shots and than changes to wide drivingbands to avoid pressure loss due to barrel wear.

The projectile depicted in #1 is a Kwk43 projectile for shure and cannot be used on a Flak 41 shellcase.

Regards, DJH

Did anyone buy any 88s from Ben stall at the W&P show a few years back that were Finish referbs, they had shrapnel groves cut into them in post war times, these also had the waffen markings and were painted yellow. Same with the cases all waffen marked and originals but referbed.

These 88mm's with the shrapnel grooves and straight tails are refurbished Flak 18/36/37 shells from Finland. They normally have the text 'vaaraton" stamped in the driving belts.

Did anyone buy any 88s from Ben stall at the W&P show a few years back that were Finish referbs, they had shrapnel groves cut into them in post war times, these also had the waffen markings and were painted yellow. Same with the cases all waffen marked and originals but referbed.
I didn’t buy one but I remember seeing them. IIRC they were £100 for a complete round and I wish I’d bought one. I didn’t know the frag grooves were a postwar addition

The fragm grooves weren’t a postwar addition, the shells were produced by the Germans that way. Also Flak 41 shells can be found with fragm grooves. See also note 1 on this US WW2 ord intell leaflet.

Attachments

• 952F0D05-F99E-4745-91A4-B3041374BD38.jpg
    952F0D05-F99E-4745-91A4-B3041374BD38.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Nice doc, greif ! What is this ordnance intelligence leaflets series ? Is it available online ?

Cheers,

S.