What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

88mm Flak HE and Pzgr 39

Rafail

Premium Member
Good day!

guys, i just got the parts to get the following ready.
3 brass 88mm shells (Finish repaint German ones)
2 AA HE flak rounds (surface rust)
1 Time delay fuze (Zink silver metal)
1 Fuze (direct contact) (metal Green painted Flat tip)
1 AP round (Ground find)

There is no paint at all and i need to restore them.
I have found about the color of each one
but i have difficulty with the stencils.

After long search over the internet i couldn't found something really good in terms of pictures or lettering.
I though it would be good to have a thread where the future collector could find a complete guide on how to paint them.
I will submit what i have found already.

Thank you!!
Raf

I just uploaded what i could find over a small search over the net.

And here are my 2 88's ... Restored as best as i could.. The Finnish casings i decided not to remove the grey color.

IMG_5412.jpgIMG_5419.jpgIMG_5420.jpg

Just curious to learn where you found the line drawing in your second post? The text is in Finnish language and I have never seen this drawing in any manuals here. More strange is that it describes a KWK-round ( electric primer ) and we never used any 88mm KWK's here - just ordinary Flaks.

I agree that better to leave the Finnish lacquer on cases. It may be of a 2-component type where pain removers do not work. Further the cases sides most often are mechanically cleaned showing very ugly worn brass coating.

The text is in Finnish language and I have never seen this drawing in any manuals here. More strange is that it describes a KWK-round ( electric primer ) and we never used any 88mm KWK's here - just ordinary Flaks.

The image is from a German manual, seems like one put his own Finish langauge descriptions in on a PC. Think it is not neccessarily from a Finish manual.

Good to know what Font was used by the germans. or what font type will get close to it? i kno a dutch site where you can order a templete with your own text, and it is reuseable. Does anyone has an idea of the font, and the hight of the normal letter in mm?

I have seen quite a varitey of font types used on German ordnance and don't think any specific one was ever decided. Instead in some manuals height of the texts is mentioned.
I believe Fjordhouse has good examples of different fonts in his collection?
I haven't found satisfactory font types from MSWord, but if you go to www.fonts.com you find much more, unfortunately they are not free.

When doing new stencils, please note that if you want to make them looking authentic don't be too careful. Original ink stamps very rarely are complete and good, but mostly stamped "just about".

Thank you!

i got some cans with german feldgrau and Yellow from a Czech online store a couple of years back..
i think ZIB-militaria has good paints also!
nice paint job what type of paint do you use
regards
tomsk